Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wind Ranges related to kite Sizes, please share you experience!

forum for kitesurfers

Archer77
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Favorite Beaches: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 Groove 500 141/44
Ozone Zephyr V5 17m
Ozone Catalyst V1 12m, 9m, 7m

Wind Ranges related to kite Sizes, please share you experience!

Postby Archer77 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi All!

PLEASE SHARE YOUR WIND RANGES RELATED TO KITE MEASURE TO CREATE A DATABASE FOLLOWING THIS SCHEME

wind range should start when is possible to go up wind without problem, and end when you feel still safe (max only half depower!)

I start:
my weight 77Kg
my level is between beginner and intermediate
board used twin tip 141*44

size 17mt (ozone Zephyr V5 2017): (my) wind range 12 to 17 knots
size 12mt (ozone Catalyst V1 2016): (my) wind range 15 to 21 knots
size 9mt (ozone Catalyst V1 2016): (my) wind range 19 to 26 knots

Archer77
Medium Poster
Ozone Zephyr V5 17m

Re: Wind Ranges related to kite Sizes, please share you experience!

Postby Archer77 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:44 am

up

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 pm

So as you can see from my other posts right now, I get a little long winded. I will try not to do that here because your answer is either really long or really short.

First, we do not know the rocker on your board. That has a huge effect on the power requirements of the board.

Secondly, we do not know the consistency of wind in your area, nor whether you would size down for safety due to potential rotor or updrafts in your area.

And third, what are you using to measure wind speed on the beach, on the inside, in the break, or on the outside.

The simple answer for you is what ever you feel works on the gear you are riding, and it looks like you have a good feel for where your kites work for your skill level right now.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 pm

The simple answer for you is what ever you feel works on the gear you are riding, and it looks like you have a good feel for
There's no one answer for kite size it all depends on conditions, and what you want to do. Megaloops, wakestyle, airstyle, they will each have a different wind range. Just ride what you feel comfortable and don't be too worried if someone is on a different sized kite.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm
There's no one answer for kite size it all depends on conditions, and what you want to do. Megaloops, wakestyle, airstyle, they will each have a different wind range. Just ride what you feel comfortable and don't be too worried if someone is on a different sized kite.
Yep, charts may be a good guideline for beginners, but intermediates-pro just choose by experience - likely without a wind meter. But use local advice when in an unfamiliar kiting location.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:10 pm

I was just up kiting in Tahoe yesterday and another thing that's often not taken into account is elevation. I know most kiting is performed at sea level, but many kite inland lakes and reservoirs. Tahoe is at 6200' (1889m), so conditions there require rigging a bigger kite to compensate for the elevation and thinner air. I've seen people launching 9m kites at Tahoe thinking the wind feels the same as their usual spots at sea level and then finding that they can't get off the beach. :lol:
Another thing often overlooked is the air temp and humidity. These factors also play a roll no matter the altitude. :thumb:

RalfsB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, RRD; Boards: Alpine foil, some surfboards I shaped myself, Machado Moonbeam
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RalfsB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 am

I am using a surfboard (very flat rocker) in waves and chop, my weight is 75kg. My figures are something like this:
6m 10 to 17 m/s (20 to 34 kts)
9m 7 to 12 m/s (14 to 24 kts)
12m 5 to 9 m/s (10 to 18 kts)
17m 4 to 6 m/s (8 to 12 kts)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 pm

You can see a scientific calculation on kite sizes in different winds, correlated to what I use myself.

In the low end nothing is easy and very uncertain, as the apparent wind and type of kite and board etc means so much, but above this point you can take the curves as a given quite precisely, which size has the same power in more wind, just correlate it to your own "power" liking of course.

Push the line up or down according to your own preferences, meaning if you like to ride a TT lit and same weight, you take maybe two kitesizes bigger than I do on a waveboard - so it just means you should follow a line like if heavier.

Regarding temperature and height, see this post/graph from 2003: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5159&start=10

And no, humidity plays no role regarding how powerful the wind is :wink:
Copied from an old 2005 post I made http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343149

Regarding moist air and power (power/lift is directly proportional to air density/weight) :

Dry air, 0%, is HEAVIER than moist air, 99% :roll:

This is just the opposite of what everyone expects.

The reason is the difference in weight of the molecules.

"Moist" in the air is almost half as heavy as the air itself, so to speak.
The molecule weight of water is 18 (H2O = 2 x 1 + 16 = 18).
Air is 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen and the last % some other gasses.
Both in pairs.
Molecule weight of N is 2 x 14 = 28, and of O is 2 x 16 = 32.

Because the number of molecules in air/gas is the same (it is, believe me) - the air without "moist" is heavier than moist air 8)

99% moist air is only about 2% lighter than dry air though, so the difference can not be felt by us kite or windsurfers :P

8) Peter

Archer77
Medium Poster
Ozone Zephyr V5 17m

Postby Archer77 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm

thank you Peter and RalfsB!

MatteoV and Edt I understand that is more and more complex, but would just be useful to have some reference of other riders... than riders could specify their use and conditions too...

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Delta race foil

15m Elf Joker 7 on 17m lines - most days, until the meters are truly hitting 17 knots. This looks like pretty vigorous, constant white caps.
11m Sonic2 on 16m lines - Constant whitecaps, up to about 22 knots, if I'm out boosting maybe a bit more but the kite doesn't depower at all above 22kts
9m Cabrinha Velocity on 21m lines - Meters are hanging at 19kts, spiking into the 20's. This is not a lot of fun for me anymore, once I can't ride the 11m it's kind of survival mode.
7m Ozone Edge on 21m lines - only did this 1 time in like 30+kts during a regatta, it sucked, it was either exactly the right power or no power at all. Not fun riding conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”