Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2019 Duotone Click Bar

Postby purdyd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Foil wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm
yes.
just removed all lines today and measured them.
I use the 4 line 2018 click bars 24mtr.
extension lines are 2mts x4
rear lines are 22mtr x2
Upper front lines are 11mtr
I measured 11.18 meter's front lines

21.57 rear

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:55 pm

duplicate

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:15 am

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:55 pm
You've certainly come some way since your post two months ago. :wink:
Foil wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 pm
foilholio wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 am
North is on it's third generation of clicker?
You couldn't possible have any gauge on durability if that is true. Except the previous 2 generations must have had problems.
the first generation click bar had issues with line wear from the plastic splitter, needed for high V splits, I was using bandit kites back then.
then when the latest generation click bar came on line with the new thumb screw type splitter and reinforced lines where the splitter engages i quickly swapped over to them.

A few months later I changed out all my kites to Ozone Reos which fly without a V above the depower point.
To really appreciate the advances the click bar has made in the kite bar world, you need to use one for a few sessions, utterly brilliant.

never change a depower line again,
never have to untwist your center lines,
never have to worry about slipping depower adjustment,need to reach up to adjust power, ( one finger -click click depower) (or 2 finger click click power up)
never have to alter you body position while you click away,

massive bar throw if needed, or tiny bar throw like my Reo, just set the throw stopper to your liking and forget about it.
visual aids to inform you of how much depower you have left.
the list goes on, but as I said you need to borrow one to appreciate its qualities and features.
never even mentioned the safety release, but everyone knows it has been the bench mark for many years.

it cost's a bomb.
reassuringly expensive!
all correct, and i still say all the parts below the standard thickness lines are brilliant, the engineering aspects and user friendliness of the click engineering is without doubt the best user friendly bar for anyone who like me, loops the kite endlessly throughout a session, (mainly Foil board sailing dictates this kite looping behaviour)
But!
as discovered, to my dismay the standard thickness lines are the weak point,specially where the splice points taper down to meet the splice finishing point as you can see in the photo.
after 12 months of 3/4 days sailing/week on the foil, the lines are now too worn to rely on anymore, I have x3 click bars all bought at the same time, all the 2018 model, with the extra reinforcement sewing on the thicker front lines where the new ring style splitter is used to split the lines into the V a lot of kites need to fly correctly, my Ozone Reo kites don't need this V splitter, so its been removed.

As of yesterday I completely stripped the well used bar down to its component parts, to see if there was anything else that needed replacing due to wear or corrosion, everything was fine inside the workings, but very sandy,.
my fault as I had ignored the instructions of to remove the little rubber flaps at each bar end to flush out and fine sand, this I tried to do a few times before at the beach, but as the bungs are very tightly fitted and need a sharp metal point to flip them open I ignored the advice,
but after seeing how sandy the interior was yesterday I will rinse the ends out each week at home with a hose pipe.
I was pleased to find the double thickness lower lines and leader lines are all in good condition along with the lines hidden inside the bar which are still new looking

I went on line yesterday to source 3 full sets of power Q line, found them from a outlet in America recommended by a Forum member and ordered them.
I have used Q line before and love its qualities.
Thinking back to 2003 it has always been expensive, I used to buy 100mtr spools of one colour, bright yellow! around £160/100mtr
the lines never need to be spliced or whipped. just cut and knot on a loop, larks head type, so easy.
The line sets i have ordered are different colours for front and rear lines, which is good.
Each set of 4X 25mtr lines is 96 us dollars, unfortunately the postage for 3 sets is 83 dollars, so all in all a great price compared to the price 15 years ago.
still cheaper than North replacements, but most importantly they are way stronger and wear resistant.

I am looking forward to running out the bar lines on the beach without the lines sticking with tangles all the time,

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:31 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 pm
Hi Colin (Kiting Colin - Flexifoil Forum ?), - Ditch the North lines and buy these: ( I have a few sets and they are top quality Sk99 lines, 500kg)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SK99-dyneema ... 2787449994
:bye: too late :o
they sound great, might even get a set of them for comparison.
thanks
Colin

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:11 am

Maybe north will listen now and swap them with quality ones. Seems enough people discontent with line quality to warrant a change????

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:15 am
Each set of 4X 25mtr lines is 96 us dollars, unfortunately the postage for 3 sets is 83 dollars ...
So you're paying 3 x $96 + $83 = $371 which with import duties +VAT will cost a good bit more to rectify faulty bars which are still covered by EU 24 month guarantees?
Edit wrote:With the USD at about 1.30 you will probably pay duty at 5.8% of about £16 plus VAT at 20% on the lot of about £60 plus $371/1.30 = £360 total.
There's a saying about a fool and his money ... :wink:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/d ... dex_en.htm
EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised.
Last edited by iriejohn on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 pm

COOP wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm
100% agree. After everything that Duotone put in to their kites and bars to make them one of the top selling brands, they absolutely over look the quality of their lines. One of the worst on the market and has been for a while now. I can't understand why Duotone hasn't fixed this issue because really it's a not a secret that they are crap.
I think it's time and long over due Duotone.

Oh mAn I’ve been whinging about north’s shitty lines for years now. On forums, to retailers , even written letters to north. But fck me they insist on using those asswipe lines that are knackered within a season. Damn I’ve got ozone bars form 2012 still going strong line wise.

Duo tone wake the fck up once and for all, your lines are horrible and have no longevity.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 pm
COOP wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm
100% agree. After everything that Duotone put in to their kites and bars to make them one of the top selling brands, they absolutely over look the quality of their lines. One of the worst on the market and has been for a while now. I can't understand why Duotone hasn't fixed this issue because really it's a not a secret that they are crap.
I think it's time and long over due Duotone.

Oh mAn I’ve been whinging about north’s shitty lines for years now. On forums, to retailers , even written letters to north. But fck me they insist on using those asswipe lines that are knackered within a season. Damn I’ve got ozone bars form 2012 still going strong line wise.

Duo tone wake the fck up once and for all, your lines are horrible and have no longevity.

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North

Postby COOP » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am

Yep kind of makes you wonder if there is a business deal or contract between Duotone and the line manufacturer.
I can't think of anything else as to why Duotone keeps using these very poor quality lines. Like I said they put so much time and effort in to their kites and bars making them a top seller and yet turn a blind eye to the quality of lines they use.
I use kite line wax on mine, 3 coats every 3 months and use bow wax on the depower and where the lines twist from rotations and kiteloops.......they fray terribly at that point. It keeps them in better shape but still very poor.
Maybe we should start a new thread
Duotone lines poor quality
Yes or No

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Time and effort in the bar? ... They claimed they tested the bar for 3 years, but somehow these lines, and the fraying inside the bar itself just slipped past the QC this entire time? Same for the original V-split btw.

Return to “Kitesurfing”