Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: 2019 Duotone Click Bar

Postby evan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Check the lines inside the bar! Specially at the point of the small hole into the floaters. You can see the wear-points at the click intervals and the setting you ride the most will have to most fraying.
The only way to spot this is to unscrew bot endcaps, one including the entire click mechanism. Not something you easily do on the beach or sandy/windy environment.

By the thickness (or lack there of) I guess those are in the 200-250DaN range when new if they used Dyneema sk75 or equivalent fibres.
Attachments
IMG_20180911_155254.jpg
IMG_20180911_160024_HHT.jpg

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 am

Faxie wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 pm
Time and effort in the bar? ... They claimed they tested the bar for 3 years, but somehow these lines, and the fraying inside the bar itself just slipped past the QC this entire time? Same for the original V-split btw.
The original V-split wear issue was a difference between manufacturing methods for prototypes vs production.
For the prototypes, the little plastic part was carefully made, probably by CNC or something. Then when the manufacturer got an order a few thousand of the same part, it became more cost-efficient to produce it by injection moulding. The mould being two halves, it left a little sharp edge at the joint, and we all know the rest of the story.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 am

Foil wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Imagebove.Lack of bar service, 12 months of use, very regular use.
Below.ropey lines, sticky when rolling out, fraying around where splicing finishes
How can you rely on a depower mechanism with sand inside? Someone is going to hurt himself, duotone should think less about business and take more care on safety.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dice » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 am

If you don't want sand inside, don't go to the beach.
Everything gets sand inside. And Duotone knows this, if it couldn't handle sand, they would've never built it.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 am

dice wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 am
If you don't want sand inside, don't go to the beach.
Everything gets sand inside. And Duotone knows this, if it couldn't handle sand, they would've never built it.
Sounds you are a duotone designer. If you are a click bar user than take care. My warning is supported by 13 years in this business, what about your experience?
Did duotone knew about lines problem?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm

jaystore wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 am
Foil wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Imagebove.Lack of bar service, 12 months of use, very regular use.
Below.ropey lines, sticky when rolling out, fraying around where splicing finishes
How can you rely on a depower mechanism with sand inside? Someone is going to hurt himself, duotone should think less about business and take more care on safety.
At this point I must come back in,
The lines inside the bar and the double thickness lines up to but not including the thinner lines are all fine after 12 months of regular use, around 4 days every week.check the photos of the lines inside the same bar.
It's the thinner lines I have issue with, as in the posted photos, these are not great lines and don't align with the quality of the rest of the 2018 click bar and lines.
After I receive my power Q lines I will be happy I have what I consider to be the best bar on the market with the best after market lines.
Just keep a good eye on them North crappy quality thinner standard lines, and change them as soon as they start fraying.
With better after market lines.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Foil wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm
Just keep a good eye on them North crappy quality thinner standard lines, and change them as soon as they start fraying.
With better after market lines.
And for this you pay over £500? Image

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Gear: North

Postby COOP » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

My thoughts exactly........Paying top dollar on Duotone products this should not be a issue at all but it has been for a long long time.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 am

I just replaced the leader lines and a depower center line on my North Click bar I bought in 2016. So I got two years of use of the bar and was happy about the bar itself, but not the horrible line wear..

And I must say, it costs a small fortune as I had to buy all 4 lines (to only replace the de-power center line)
and new leader lines. Parts are insanely expensive for the quality of lines we get :-(

I am also concerned that I only accidentally found out that leader lines inside the bar actually wear a LOT. If I did not disassemble the bar at the time when I was replacing the "about to break" center line, I would never know about the wear-and-tear issue on leader lines and the bar would just break on me during some session (potentially far from shore).

There is clear danger here since in all other bars, you can clearly see tear-and-wear of the lines or other components , but NOT on click bar.

I think Duotone should :
A. Be very clear how often the bar needs to be fully disassembled and checked for wear inside ..
B. Provide a set of spare leader lines with the bar!! The bar already costing a LOT and a lifespan of a bar is about 3-5 years before most people replace them. My opinion is all internal bar components should last that long or have a spare to come with a bar.

If you use Click Bar, do yourself a favor and OPEN it up!! It may save you from a kite-mare which may be just days away without you realizing it.
Attachments
IMG_0947.JPG

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Gear: North

Postby COOP » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 am

When you say you got two years out of the lines. Do you know how much kiting exactly or guesstimate?

Return to “Kitesurfing”