Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

under a 9m better a 6 or a 7m for twintip riding?

Forum for kitesurfers
badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Re: under a 9m better a 6 or a 7m for twintip riding?

Postby badgb21 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:24 pm

I have no idea on your sizing, but it was funny to read a response within an hour also referring to foiling and surfboards to TT question.
The forum oracle will be on here next and you may even get a picture of him on a directional!

Anyway sounds like some good advice regarding your sizing and 7m sounds logical.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:12 pm

The quiver sizes for nice coverage on a twintip if you weigh 70 to 90 kg. Sure, others make it work with different sizes, but for most riders this works. If you live in an area where the wind is rarely strong, you can forget the smallest kite size.

5, 7, 9, 12, 16 and a nice big foil if you are Pump Me Up

or

6, 8, 10, 13, 16 and that lovely foil for light wind. I like an 18 Soul :thumb:

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ichabod » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Really no need for a 5m or 6m on a twin tip unless you are very light or ride often in 40knots or more

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm 81kg and ride a twintip with a 6m Enduro V2 in 26+ knots which is very nice because you're not fighting when it's gusting 35k+. But yes, I can understand that for the many chubsters on this forum a 6m would be too small.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:13 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:24 pm
I have no idea on your sizing, but it was funny to read a response within an hour also referring to foiling and surfboards to TT question.
Yep, free and open forum. Great for answers that are unrelated to your question. Should you get those answers to your question, and they do not provoke you to think "outside the box", simply discard them and don't dwell on them. This advice is easy for a stable person to apply here.

badgb21 wrote:
The forum oracle will be on here next and you may even get a picture of him on a directional!
Your faith in me is misplaced. My experience for the last 4 years or so pretty much excludes me from any current specific advice related to TT riding/kite size anymore. Yes, I do have a TT background, but others here have much more current knowledge. The general idea, across TT and directional, is 2m gap below 10m size is the largest size difference you want to deal with. And honestly, I do not know of any exception out there due to being on a specific shape of board. But I am sure someone here may have something to say about that. Still, the general idea I stated has been gone over already, as it is obvious to experienced kiters of all board types.

But thanks again for your belief in me. And honestly, I would have never posted on this topic without you mentioning me. In the future, just to clear up any confusion as to whether you are actually referring to me, could you spell out my name 3 times in succession. That will make sure I do not miss a thread which I was not paying too much attention to in the first place.

ronik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 154lbs/70kg
Local Beach: Sobieszewo, Gdansk-Stogi, Rewa, Hel Peninsula, Poland
Favorite Beaches: Gdansk Gulf, Poland
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Duotone SLS Neo various / Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, Superking

Postby ronik » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 pm

As it's clear for Archer77 - I have an impression that my XR4 12m a little too much overlap with XR5 9m. What do you think about XR5 12m & 8m set for 70kg rider on twintip 136cm?

ronik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 154lbs/70kg
Local Beach: Sobieszewo, Gdansk-Stogi, Rewa, Hel Peninsula, Poland
Favorite Beaches: Gdansk Gulf, Poland
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Duotone SLS Neo various / Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, Superking

Postby ronik » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:44 pm

As it's clear for Archer77 - I have an impression that my XR4 12m a little too much overlap with XR5 9m. What do you think about XR5 12m & 8m set for 70kg rider on 136cm twintip?

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Oh Mateo, thank you for not letting me down.
Your wisdom and ability to make us think outside the box is incredible.
Those that kite with you must be truly blessed.

The world does not need any more TT riders and they should be informed of the thrills that lay ahead with surfboards and foils.

Do you have any more photos of you that I can add to my collection?

Thanks

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:13 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Yep, free and open forum. Great for answers that are unrelated to your question. Should you get those answers to your question, and they do not provoke you to think "outside the box", simply discard them and don't dwell on them. This advice is easy for a stable person to apply here.

badgb21 wrote:
Your faith in me is misplaced. My experience for the last 4 years or so pretty much excludes me from any current specific advice related to TT riding/kite size anymore. Yes, I do have a TT background, but others here have much more current knowledge. The general idea, across TT and directional, is 2m gap below 10m size is the largest size difference you want to deal with. And honestly, I do not know of any exception out there due to being on a specific shape of board. But I am sure someone here may have something to say about that. Still, the general idea I stated has been gone over already, as it is obvious to experienced kiters of all board types.

But thanks again for your belief in me. And honestly, I would have never posted on this topic without you mentioning me. In the future, just to clear up any confusion as to whether you are actually referring to me, could you spell out my name 3 times in succession. That will make sure I do not miss a thread which I was not paying too much attention to in the first place.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:37 pm
The world does not need any more TT riders and they should be informed of the thrills that lay ahead with surfboards and foils.
Pretty much opposite of my advice. I typically say that the rider really decides on what feeling they want to enjoy/pursue. To put it bluntly, I have witnessed more visually pleasing wave riding from a guy on a TT than I have seen from directional riders (in person). The key to kiting happiness and development is to make sure YOU decide what you like. Don't buy into the hype of "do it this way or YOU ARE WRONG AND BEING A KOOK" or "this is better than that for every kiter". YOU need to get out there and actually experience the different board types and approaches to kiting. And YOU should do this throughout your skill development. Sometimes even I miss being on a TT, but not enough to make me go back.......well maybe not for now. Though, who knows about the future? But let me know if you want me to explain the feeling I get from TT vs strapless surfboard vs kitesurfboard vs Kitefish vs hydrofoil. Or if you really want to get detailed, what is the difference between fin configurations on kitesurfboards and my take on what they are good for. That information could help you with understanding why you would want to broaden your horizons. And also ask others, but keep to your own path and don't let anyone tell you have to do it this way, or that.

And as a side note, I really have not kept up my interest in hydrofoils. I have not used mine for maybe 6months now. So, even though I dumped lots of money and (some) time into it, it is just not for me at this point. If you try something, and you give it some time but it does not make you feel good about pursuing it, move on for now. That is how you home in on what you really do like.

badgb21 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:37 pm
Do you have any more photos of you that I can add to my collection?
Sorry, I do not. So how about you put up some pics of you riding a rail?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”