Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

OR Soul Seepage

Forum for kitesurfers
ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None

OR Soul Seepage

Postby ralu81 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:50 pm

I’m getting a decent amount of water seepage through my neck seal on my soul. I’ve had it for three seasons now and have ruled out sweat, bad seal, poor fit. I use the suit to remove our dock and don’t experience any wetness but this requires much less movement than kiteboarding. The only reason I can come up with is moving my head back and forth. Does anyone else experience this and is there a way to eliminate or lessen it? I like the suit and still prefer it to a wetsuit even with the seepage just find it annoying.
Last edited by ralu81 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Re: OR Soul Seepage

Postby grtlakes » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Did you trim it to fit?

I also have a soul. The last time I used it I also had some water enter through the seals.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 pm

No I haven’t trimed the seals. It’s pretty tight on my neck enough so that it’s not comfortable.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Was considering cutting the neck portion of an old wetsuit to help absorb some of the water. Anyone try something similar to this?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Do you burp the suit before the session?
Do you go in big swell?
Mine never gave me much leakage through the neck seal in 3 years, even after it ripped completely and I patched it with electric tape and aquaseal,,
It gives me a bit of irritation but I can't say I get much water, although I tried to be more careful after the rip occurred. I am getting a new one this season.
What I noticed, after some extensive usage the Soul starts to leak through the seams.
It's an easy test and fix: turn it inside out, patch the seals with poland spring water bottles or tennis balls and fill it with water through neck seal.. Note where it leaks and patch with aquaseal from inside.
Also wearing neoprene hoodie on to helps too in bigger swell..

ralu81
Medium Poster
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I do burp it but I leave some air in for flotation. I’ll try and get more air out next time I’m out and see if that helps.

I’m mostly in 1-4’ waves at best if not just chop.

When you noticed a seams was leaking after you tested it was it visually noticeable where the leak was from? I’ve inspected The seams around the neck/shoulder area and they all look solid.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:41 pm

My Soul has good fit on seals and is in perfect condition. When I'm doing more jumping and higher impact fallings during session, all seals leak some water in.
I have thought that is something I just have to accept. Merino wool undies mitigate the issue.

Comparing to my diving drysuit - it has very similar seals, maybe even less tight, and they don't leak. Diving has so much less motion and no impacts, so I'd say that is the issue here.
But if there is some trick to fix Soul seal leaks, I'm all ears.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Drysuit seal fit / tightness is a trade-off between comfort and keeping the water out.

A loose/comfortable seal will seal against your skin and keep the water out if, when entering the water, that seal goes in first. However if the seal is the last point to enter the water, the air that is inside your suit will be forced up and open or “burp” the seal as it goes underwater. During the burp, as the air rushes out, a trickle of water will come in.

The tighter the seal, the better is will resist burping and the less trickles of water in during wipe-outs.

And because the suits are breathable, you will always have air coming into the suit. Keep the amount of air inside your suit at a minimum by venting excess air out the neck seal every 10 – 15 minutes just before water-starting.

As seals age, they become more flexible, so they don't seal as tightly as they did when new. If the seals weren't tight enough when the suit was new, having them replaced with the next size smaller seal is also an option. On the neck seals, there are 5 different sizes of seals used in the Ocean Rodeo drysuits, 3 sizes of wrists, and 3 ankle seal sizes.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Jukka wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:41 pm
But if there is some trick to fix Soul seal leaks, I'm all ears.
A clean shave of your neck area will improve the static performance of the neck seal.

On all seals, moving them down or inward to a larger circumference position on your neck/wrist/ankle will tighten up the seal and increase its resistance to burping when entering the water.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks for the tips... I’ll report back after my next session to see if burning it more helps. I’ve experienced wetness around my wrists as well but pretty sure there’s not much that can help when you crash hard. Fortunately it’s never been a lot of water just damp.

Return to “Kitesurfing”