Forum for kitesurfers
backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best
Brand Affiliation: None

North Dakota kiters?

Postby backcountry » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:32 am

Just returned from a legacy trip to Minnesota with mother in law, wife, sister and brother in law. 3400 miles from western US in a Toyota camry. We visited the old home stead and 6 grave yards with relatives from the "old country", Norway. Going through ND I was amazed at the mini lakes that appeared to be taking over thousands of acres of farmland. From talking to one of the locals, he told me the water table in some areas is only 5" deep and the water keeps rising. The wind was nuking the whole time. Might have to take a trip back there again next summer and befriend a farmer :D . Just wondering if anyone is taking advantage of all that wind and water.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Dakota kiters?

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Kite ranch opportunity!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm

UND used to have a pretty good group of kiters. Snow is king and there is snow on the ground right now.

If you want snowkiting terrain, the best bet is a little further down along I-29 on the Buffalo Ridge Glacial Escarpment in South Dakota. The wind is also a bit better there too. The best thing about kiting on the plains is the great consistency of the winds.

MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Postby MKM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 pm

South Dakota is pretty good too! A huge variety of conditions for only 5-6 days of shooting!
https://youtu.be/AZ7nouS6FBU

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks for the responses. Kite ranch , i like that. Maybe if the soybeam market goes flat due to tarrif war with china, land will be cheaper. I snowkite in the rolling wheat fields near the university of idaho

Return to “Kitesurfing”