Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

5th line on the click bar question

Postby lindseym » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Greetings all,
I'm thinking about picking up a 2017 Rebel just to have in my quiver. I will need to get a 5th line bar but definitely want a click bar. Does anyone know if the click bar does support a "loaded" 5th line and that it treats a 5th line no different than a 5th line trust bar? I'm assuming also that they are all the same regardless of click bar year. Many thanks.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 5th line on the click bar question

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Click bar is compatible with loaded 5th line and in fact solves the untidy looking 5th line droop that you get with the older bar style.

I seem to remember DanAtB&M saying the only point of difference was that it released to a front line rather than the 5th line so in high wind conditions you might need to climb the lines and pull the 5th line manually in order to get the kite to settle leading edge down.

Plenty on here about the pros and cons. I still have mixed feelings about mine 12 months on. I like the back line trim but some of the other compromises I'm less happy with - especially for the additional price. Line extensions in the bag to sort out line stretch is a great idea that I wish every kite company adopted.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:05 pm
Click bar is compatible with loaded 5th line and in fact solves the untidy looking 5th line droop that you get with the older bar style.

I seem to remember DanAtB&M saying the only point of difference was that it released to a front line rather than the 5th line so in high wind conditions you might need to climb the lines and pull the 5th line manually in order to get the kite to settle leading edge down.

Plenty on here about the pros and cons. I still have mixed feelings about mine 12 months on. I like the back line trim but some of the other compromises I'm less happy with - especially for the additional price. Line extensions in the bag to sort out line stretch is a great idea that I wish every kite company adopted.
Great info and exactly what I needed. Thx. In your opinion, would you say that the loaded 5th on the older Rebels made much more of a difference? I am hearing so many mixed opinions on this.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:03 pm

For info:-
Get the 2018 version of the click bar (or splash out on the 2019 as Christmas is just round the corner)
Or get the 2017 one if it has the upgraded lines fitted,
there are severe front line wear problems with the 2016/2017 click bars where the sharp edges of the splitter ring cuts into the front line where the Y is located.
later bars with the modification do not have this problem.
Look out for a rarely used bar, otherwise take off the end caps and inspect the hidden lines.
Last edited by Foil on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 pm

lindseym wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:

Great info and exactly what I needed. Thx. In your opinion, would you say that the loaded 5th on the older Rebels made much more of a difference? I am hearing so many mixed opinions on this.
Sorry. I can't add much in the way of comparison as I haven't had any meaningful time on a 4 line rebel - I and my other friends riding rebels moved brands about a year ago- but the selling point for the Rebel was the direct bar feedback you got from that really short bridle, and the short bar throw. If you aren't tall, that short bar throw was like cheating as it meant you could stack extra power but not get pulled off the edge when you sent the kite.

If I remember correctly you are into your airstyle, I'd probably suggest looking at what the other airstyle riders are riding and see if you match up weight and style wise. I gather Tom Herbert has now moved onto the Rebel from the old Evo - check out his 'Toms Kitchen' videos for his style. Dave Ursell has done a couple of good videos with the new Rebel (this isn't one of his greatest videos and looks somewhat like an advert but he rides enough during it to give you an idea of what you might expect from the kite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNQNAsqSnE )

Good luck.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:46 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 pm
lindseym wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:

Sorry. I can't add much in the way of comparison as I haven't had any meaningful time on a 4 line rebel - I and my other friends riding rebels moved brands about a year ago- but the selling point for the Rebel was the direct bar feedback you got from that really short bridle, and the short bar throw. If you aren't tall, that short bar throw was like cheating as it meant you could stack extra power but not get pulled off the edge when you sent the kite.

If I remember correctly you are into your airstyle, I'd probably suggest looking at what the other airstyle riders are riding and see if you match up weight and style wise. I gather Tom Herbert has now moved onto the Rebel from the old Evo - check out his 'Toms Kitchen' videos for his style. Dave Ursell has done a couple of good videos with the new Rebel (this isn't one of his greatest videos and looks somewhat like an advert but he rides enough during it to give you an idea of what you might expect from the kite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNQNAsqSnE )

Good luck.
Many thanks. Yes, you are correct...I like the oldschool and airstyle stuff and have studied Tom, Dimitri, and Toby for some time. I will probably be buying a quiver of Duotone Rebels soon but wanted to get my hands on a 2017 because I thought it would be fun to compare a 2017, 2018, and 2019 back to back. I'll check out the Dave U vids.

Return to “Kitesurfing”