Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting Santa Ana Winds

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Kiting Santa Ana Winds

Postby fernmanus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:34 am

I will be in LA on Monday. The forecast is for Santa Ana winds. I have read that the two places to ride are Silver Strand in San Diego or Port Hueneme south of Ventura. I have kited in gusty off-shore winds many times as I live near inland lakes, so I will take the appropriate precautions. Just curious if any of you have kited these locations in Santa Ana winds and what was your experience? I have kited both locations in “normal” wind.

I know most locations absolutely suck for Santa Ana winds, but I understand that at least at Silver Strand, they can be magical if you have the skills.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kiting Santa Ana Winds

Postby purdyd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:42 am

I would say, unless you have a boat, I would not kite Port Hueneme in a Santa Anna. It has nothing to do with skills.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:47 am

I would say, unless you have a boat, I would not kite Port Hueneme in a Santa Anna. It has nothing to do with skills.
Okay, please explain. Does the wind gust in excess of 50 mph? Or is the wind super nasty alternating from 10 to 30? I don’t want to be a Coast Guard rescue, on the other hand, a lot of people won’t kite Cabrillo... So, please help me understand.
Thank you

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:13 pm

It is an extremely fickle wind. It can start and quit in a moment. Often switching around 180 degrees but not always.

The early season Santa Ana can be especially flukey at the beach.

It is almost always extremely gusty. It is heavily influenced by the mountains and canyons so if a small change in direction can make a big change in wind.

I used to windsurf in it. Occasionally I had to swim in. A much harder prospect with a kite.

If anything goes wrong, snapped line, tangled bridle, injury, etc. You will get blown out to sea.

The water off port hueneme can be quite cold.

You will almost certainly be kiting by yourself.

I can't speak to san diego conditions.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Purdyd,

Thank you for your detailed response. Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I won’t be kiting Port Hueneme in Santa Ana winds.

Still holding out hope for Silver Strand in San Diego, but not much...

Return to “Kitesurfing”