Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

PSA: Check your harness - Friend of mine got luck, really lucky

Postby lindseym » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Greetings all,
A good friend got really lucky on Monday when then webbing on his harness snapped while he was at the summit point on a boost. The wind was about 35mph and he was pretty high up. He landed in about 4 feet of water and hit the bottom. He's recovering now with a minor concussion and but expected to make a full recovery. I grabbed these images from the original facebook post from his gf who is also a kiter. Please note that this is not intended at all to brand bash or speak negatively of Ride Engine. I am simply sharing this because it was a strong reminder to me to check my harness webbing and I wanted to share this in the hopes that you will do the same. Ride Engine is a fantastic brand and this is in no way to dissuade anyone from buying their products.

I liked what she wrote in the original post so here's an excerpt.
The point of the post is this: If you have a Ride Engine please check where you cinch down your strap when you tighten and lessen when placing the harness on. It was determined the failure point is right where the strap drags across the serrated teeth Ride Engine uses to “bite” into the strap. Essentially if you do this enough over time is basically saws away at the nylon strap to the point of failure. Let’s keep this focused on safety and not brand bashing. We are friends with Coleman (original inventor of Ride Engine before Slingshot purchased it) and still has his custom Ride Engine harness Coleman made him 5 years ago.
Attachments
harness break 1.jpg
harness break 2.jpg

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: PSA: CHECK YOUR HARNESS - Friend of mine got luck, really lucky

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Just checked my R/E harness, 3 years of use 400 sessions, no wear at all👍👍👍

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:49 pm

Yeah that sounds sketchy and definitely something we all need to keep an eye on. Another lesson is, of course, to not boost super high in 4 feet of water.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 am

Hey, Lindsey. Sorry to hear about your friend. This is a good reminder to check all gear periodically. Thanks for that.

I've had harness straps and spreader bar hooks break at the peak of a boost, but I've always managed to "crash gently". If a strap breaks on one side, you're usually supported by the strap on the other side. You'll be lopsided in the air, but not totally unsupported. Also, if I had to find more than 4 feet of water for a boost, I'd never leave the surface. 4 feet is a lot of cushion.

I'm wondering how your friend ended up with a concussion and in the hospital. Did he hit his head on the board, or lose control of the kite and slam his head into the water? I don't want to take anything away from the purpose behind your post, but I'm curious exactly how the injury occurred. :thumb:

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 am
Hey, Lindsey. Sorry to hear about your friend. This is a good reminder to check all gear periodically. Thanks for that.

I've had harness straps and spreader bar hooks break at the peak of a boost, but I've always managed to "crash gently". If a strap breaks on one side, you're usually supported by the strap on the other side. You'll be lopsided in the air, but not totally unsupported. Also, if I had to find more than 4 feet of water for a boost, I'd never leave the surface. 4 feet is a lot of cushion.

I'm wondering how your friend ended up with a concussion and in the hospital. Did he hit his head on the board, or lose control of the kite and slam his head into the water? I don't want to take anything away from the purpose behind your post, but I'm curious exactly how the injury occurred. :thumb:
Yea, I am wondering the same myself and haven't spoke with him yet. I think it was from him falling on the side and the bar had gotten away from him so he wasnt able to redirect the kite too much. From what I understand he slammed down pretty hard...belly flop competition winner style. :D I'll get more details this week.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 am

Had the same problem years ago with an old harness. If the strap goes into the buckle at the same place every time you tighten it, it will eventually eat through it. I caught it prior to failure and doubled it over and sewed the strap so it would wear at another spot on the strap. Hope your friend heals quickly.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 am

Dual compression straps are the best in my opinion. Spread load over 4 straps on one side instead of two, and if one webbing breaks you still have another webbing holding in place.

The old Ride Engine webbing designs were flawed with that one thin webbing to hold down the spreader bar. All the weight of the spreader bar is taken by the bottom webbing attaches to the harness. A major fail in design that was there so you couldnt use other brand's spreader bar.

The new Ride Engine dual compression straps from 2018 is a big improvement.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: PSA: Check your harness - Friend of mine got luck, really lucky

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 am

Hopefully he is ok.

I always have wear on my harness webbing.
And that is without teeth. It is a single point, but some cm wide, but still wears off.
I then have it cut, take the wear out and then they sew it together again until it wears off again.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

If you watch Antons videos - 'learning to Fly', he goes into all the wear areas he has identified on harnesses over the years. Its not just the wear at the clip. He mentions wear and failure at the point the straps are stitched into the harness. Possibly worth buying Episode 2 of the series just for that information alone? Good videos all the same.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am

Yes, I have that problem too.

But luckily not anymore breaking hooks, which I had with dakine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”