Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: PSA: CHECK YOUR HARNESS - Friend of mine got luck, really lucky

Postby Macster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 am

gator1 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 am
Dual compression straps are the best in my opinion. Spread load over 4 straps on one side instead of two, and if one webbing breaks you still have another webbing holding in place.

The old Ride Engine webbing designs were flawed with that one thin webbing to hold down the spreader bar. All the weight of the spreader bar is taken by the bottom webbing attaches to the harness. A major fail in design that was there so you couldnt use other brand's spreader bar.

The new Ride Engine dual compression straps from 2018 is a big improvement.
Agreed. I have had one of the two straps snap on a mystic harness but no harm done since the other held it together.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: PSA: Check your harness - Friend of mine got luck, really lucky

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:56 pm

*Disclaimer: I sell pretty much all these harnesses

This is something that I've seen before on many harnesses, including Dakine, and many of my own. It usually happens on the side that doesn't open on the harness. Most people (myself included before I figured out what was happening) only loosen the buckle(s) on the side that the spreader bar opens up. That means the side that stays fastened almost always stays cinched to the same spot, thereby rubbing the same location always. It's only a matter of time before it breaks. Now, I loosen all the straps (whether 2 on Ride Engine or 4 on Dakine (Ion, etc...) and have stopped having that problem. I now train all of my students/inform my customers of the way that I recommend doing it.

To be clear, there's no intent to place blame, just sharing the "epiphany" that I finally had after I broke about 6 harness straps myself, always in the same place. No one ever accused me of being a genius. :roll: :lol:

I hope this helps!

SENDIT!

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Re: PSA: CHECK YOUR HARNESS - Friend of mine got luck, really lucky

Postby ThickAir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Macster wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 am
gator1 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 am
Dual compression straps are the best in my opinion. Spread load over 4 straps on one side instead of two, and if one webbing breaks you still have another webbing holding in place.

The old Ride Engine webbing designs were flawed with that one thin webbing to hold down the spreader bar. All the weight of the spreader bar is taken by the bottom webbing attaches to the harness. A major fail in design that was there so you couldnt use other brand's spreader bar.

The new Ride Engine dual compression straps from 2018 is a big improvement.
Agreed. I have had one of the two straps snap on a mystic harness but no harm done since the other held it together.
3rd. I got a new Mystic which is single point of failure (especially with the stupid click coming undone) so I switched back to my old Mystic with the secondary hold-down strap. That little secondary strap has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Had a similar problem with a Manera harness - not the teeth part, but the "smooth" part right next to it. Harness was used for 1.5 seasons maybe, looked fine, until I noticed the strap was hanging on with 10% of its threads. Took a picture and send it to the dealer to see if I could get a new strap, and they forwarded it to Manera. No luck - "this is wear and tear caused by sand - no replacement, sorry". Silly excuse imo - bought a new harness from a different brand.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am
If you watch Antons videos - 'learning to Fly', he goes into all the wear areas he has identified on harnesses over the years. Its not just the wear at the clip. He mentions wear and failure at the point the straps are stitched into the harness. Possibly worth buying Episode 2 of the series just for that information alone? Good videos all the same.
Yes, and its how he opens episode 2 to boot ! I figured discussions on harness would be the last thing in a boosting vid but it does make sense.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:56 pm
That means the side that stays fastened almost always stays cinched to the same spot, thereby rubbing the same location always. It's only a matter of time before it breaks. Now, I loosen all the straps (whether 2 on Ride Engine or 4 on Dakine (Ion, etc...) and have stopped having that problem.
This is great advice and what I was thinking. I actually ride with my harness a little loose so it can move around and for this reason, I'm glad I do. Just out of curiosity, how has the Mystic Warrior held up in your opinion? I've had pretty good luck with them over the years.

Pol Kiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone, Flysurfer, North...
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pol Kiter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:26 am

12222B55-2C94-4B3D-BA09-0B6F74D246B7.jpeg
A couple of days ago, 2014 NP Mirage. Luckily it happened while cruising in light wind

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 am

Beware not just the strap's condition but the stitching too. I had a 2'nd hand mystic strap stitching come loose mid jump a couple of years ago. Especially hanging them up in the sun will degrade the stitching.

For the last year an a half I've been using an old (20years old + ?) Neil Pryde windsurfing waist harness that I've stitched leg straps on to (to make it into a seat harness), I replaced the failing waist straps with 2 ton truck tie down straps and I cut the harness hook off, sanded it flat and I have 3 ton breaking strain marine cord spliced in a loop through the hook bar ends and retaining a slider that my chicken loop also goes through. Great freedom of movement and held together with very strong waxed nylon thread I sewed in with a "Speedy stitcher" which is just a little hand held needle with a handle containing a bobbin to hold the thread inside. All a lot stronger than a typical manufactured harness, I'd expect failure from a buckle next, not any of the straps or stitching.

Bruce Buffer
Rare Poster
Gear: shopping bag on 2 lines
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bruce Buffer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 am

I have the same harness as OP and slight wear on both sides exactly where the teeth bite into the strap.
Other than that, harness is pretty much in mint condition and the best fit ever.

It simply feels wrong retiring it without ever trying to fix it.
Has anyone done it?
How? Ideas?

Tia

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Bruce Buffer wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 am
I have the same harness as OP and slight wear on both sides exactly where the teeth bite into the strap.
Other than that, harness is pretty much in mint condition and the best fit ever.

It simply feels wrong retiring it without ever trying to fix it.
Has anyone done it?
How? Ideas?

Tia
You can take your harness to someone with a commercial sewing machine (like a canvas repair shop, sail shop, something like that) and get them to sew a new webbing strap on. You should be able to find the webbing at an outdoor store, maybe like REI. I'm sure they're elsewhere, too, but that's where I found it before. Good luck!

SENDIT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”