Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which Kites and lines lenght are most people using for 30 to 50 knots

Postby early bird2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 am

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:58 pm
A twintip Axis limited 138x42.5 and also skis the 40 to 50 knots ils more common in the winter here I used the 5m a few times in 100km/h wind on the snow good little kite so fast but well behaved.
I have the same twin , It is amazing , this is quite a big board for high wind . :o

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain

Postby early bird2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:05 pm
early bird2 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:00 pm
macgruber wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 am
5m Ocean Rodeo Storm works well in the Gorge especially Rooster Rock when it hits 50 mph. Not sure I’ve hit 50 knots though (57.5mph). It is rock solid stable with 5 struts and 23m lines
OR does not produce the Storm kite anymore . This was a good looking kite well built .

Problem is, that very few use these sizes...

Not easy to understand for many of us who do it often, but still a fact if you look at the full sale.

The next NEW dilemma is, if they are built super tough (heavy) it works for insane winds indeed - but then you loose the foil public where a 5 m2 on a Surf wing can be used in 14 knots easily for average weights.

Always difficult for brands with the smallest and biggest sizes indeed :roll:

8) Peter
That's true , we need two differents construction kites of the same sizes for differents applications .

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:05 am
Send it!
https://youtu.be/kNvFKRnDqgo
Eddy Lansik sent it good here.... :o

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
early bird2 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:00 pm

OR does not produce the Storm kite anymore . This was a good looking kite well built .

Not easy to understand for many of us who do it often, but still a fact if you look at the full sale.

The next NEW dilemma is, if they are built super tough (heavy) it works for insane winds indeed - but then you loose the foil public where a 5 m2 on a Surf wing can be used in 14 knots easily for average weights.

8) Peter
That's true , we need two differents construction kites of the same sizes for differents applications .
Agree, the only purpose when I have used my OR Storm Kite is survival, strapped to a high rocker twin tip, strapless surfing or foiling is not an option :nono:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 am

Surely - it depends what you're trying to do? Looking at Tilman ... he's just going in a straight-line, in flat(ish) water, really fast. I can believe that longer lines might help even out the ride in those conditions - obviously trying to keep the kite as still as possible.

On a SB where you're constantly turning the kite & trying to control & REDUCE your speed, it's a totally different thing. I use a 5m wave kite in anything that is consistently over about 28 kts., together with a 45cm bar & 20m lines. So ideal wind for surfing with the 5m (80kg) is 25-30kts. I would say that anything much over 30 kts. is too much to effectively surf waves, but just about doable up to 35 kts. in waves. Flat water, maybe hang in over 35 kts. but it starts to become no fun as the gusts make it impossible to relax & dial in the kite.

I look at the best TT kiters in the world going out in heavy wind. They seem to be able to do it in 35 kts plus & with bigger kites, but they're not really "kitesurfing" on the water - they're controlling the power & holding the edge as best they can until they send it & boost huge.

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 am

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 am
Surely - it depends what you're trying to do? Looking at Tilman ... he's just going in a straight-line,
its better for carving, too. As you can generate more power when moving the kite.
Nice carving in a storm in full control with a 4m Rally and 27 m lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWDE3yyZaI&t=88s
All way more comfortable and easier with longer lines.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Surely - it depends what you're trying to do? Looking at Tilman ... he's just going in a straight-line, in flat(ish) water, really fast. I can believe that longer lines might help even out the ride in those conditions - obviously trying to keep the kite as still as possible.

On a SB where you're constantly turning the kite & trying to control & REDUCE your speed, it's a totally different thing. I use a 5m wave kite in anything that is consistently over about 28 kts., together with a 45cm bar & 20m lines. So ideal wind for surfing with the 5m (80kg) is 25-30kts. I would say that anything much over 30 kts. is too much to effectively surf waves, but just about doable up to 35 kts. in waves. Flat water, maybe hang in over 35 kts. but it starts to become no fun as the gusts make it impossible to relax & dial in the kite.

I look at the best TT kiters in the world going out in heavy wind. They seem to be able to do it in 35 kts plus & with bigger kites, but they're not really "kitesurfing" on the water - they're controlling the power & holding the edge as best they can until they send it & boost huge.
+1 :cool2:

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:51 am

PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 pm
early bird2 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter
Agree, the only purpose when I have used my OR Storm Kite is survival, strapped to a high rocker twin tip, strapless surfing or foiling is not an option :nono:
Which bar setting do you use with your Storm ?, 2 fronts safety or one front ?

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:28 am

Which bar setting do you use with your Storm ?, 2 fronts safety or one front ?
I made a 5th line like posted viewtopic.php?p=890612#p890612 and viewtopic.php?p=959976#p959976. But probably no need, using the 2 front safety like an OR bar or old Cab IDS bar should work, test it first tho.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:02 am

tilmann wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 am
Flyboy wrote:
Surely - it depends what you're trying to do? Looking at Tilman ... he's just going in a straight-line,
its better for carving, too. As you can generate more power when moving the kite.
Nice carving in a storm in full control with a 4m Rally and 27 m lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWDE3yyZaI&t=88s
All way more comfortable and easier with longer lines.
Gezus tilman, you're an animal! I don't want my kite to "generate more power" when turning in 35 kts. Less power will do just fine & that's what I want out of my wave kite, so that it doesn't rip me off the wave face. That's really the point: above a certain wind speed staying on the wave becomes pretty much impossible. For me, with a 5m, that's around 30 kts., much more than that & you can kite, but it's not really wave riding. I'm not sure about a smaller kite - I think there's a point at which the power becomes too on-&-off with a really small kite, but the last time I used a a really small kite, it was a 3.5 C kite back in the day ... it wasn't much fun, but maybe a modern kite would work better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”