Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Element/Nitro Confusion on Bigger Air Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Switch Element/Nitro Confusion on Bigger Air Kite

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:18 am

Started twin tipping again today. Really strong wind with lulls at 18mph and gusts up to 22mph. :lol:

My 2013 12m switchblade is slower than hell for some reason. Holds air and still jumps nice, landing loops are challenging to get her a full loop and I just got smoked doing some hand drags today. She loops but won't angle upwards so then she just rips thru the window and basically almost tears herself apart. I tuned my bar 2 days ago, it's perfect. Somethings up with the kite.

I'm thinking of a switch Nitro or Element, but here is my issue. I want a big jumping kite that lands soft and then has just enough looping speed to enjoy myself. I don't need or want a C kite b/c I don't need that fast of a kite and I don't like the struggle on the low end.

My number 1 goal is going big and a soft landing. The Nitro is the kite Switch says is the go big kite but I just yanked the numbers from their website and the numbers say that the Element should be the bigger booster.

12m Kite.........Element.....Nitro
Projected Span.....4.3..........3.9
Projected Area.....7.9..........7.5
Projected AR.......2.3..........2.0
Flat Span............7.6..........7.8
Chord................2.5..........2.0
Flat Area...........12.0.........12.1
Flat AR..............4.85.........5.0

So this tells us when you blow up the kites the Element has more Projected Area, Projected Span, and a Higher Aspect Ratio. Is the only reason they say the Nitro is the Big Air kite is b/c it snaps to the zenith when you send it that much faster b/c of the more C shaped design? I can't imagine that to be true. And I still think I go bigger on my switchblade than the Chaos I had a one point.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks. I was really thinking about the Nitro until I looked at these numbers, but may consider the Element more now.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Re: Switch Element/Nitro Confusion on Bigger Air Kite

Postby Macster » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 am

I had the 10m 12m and 14 nitro and upgraded the 12m to the latest version.

Huge boosting kite. Not great for looping, too slow for my liking and they were built heavy which made light wind flying a chore.

The newer version was lighter and slightly faster. I would have liked to try a 9m Nitro.

I'd try other kites if kite loops is your goal or maybe try shortening the 23m lines to 20m.

Only tried the element once so can't really comment.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:56 am

I read there's a new model out now, an open c shape which could be the go for big air and looping. I'd be giving that one a demo.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 am

Nitro has a slimmer LE, making it a bit less draggy kite, better float with not that much downwind speed on landings unless you want it to. Bit slower, but good enough for looping. Needs a bit more technique for jumping, Element jumps easier and is more of an allrounder. Weight is similar. No idea about the Krypto, but that's a classic C-shape with bridle option, like Ozone C4 I guess. Probably less hangtime but great for looping.

Return to “Kitesurfing”