Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing offshore or side offshore winds

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Kitesurfing offshore or side offshore winds

Postby SpaceRacer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 am

Hi, we get a lot of offshore and side offshore winds this time of year and it looks like it could be a lot of fun kitesurfing close to shore in the windswept full faced inside swell. Other than the obvious safety issues of going too far offshore or the potential for dirty wind with offshore winds, are there other things to consider when kiting offshore winds? Any tips for a safe and enjoyable session? Thanks, SR

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitesurfing offshore or side offshore winds

Postby pj sofine » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:27 am

SpaceRacer wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 am
Hi, we get a lot of offshore and side offshore winds this time of year and it looks like it could be a lot of fun kitesurfing close to shore in the windswept full faced inside swell. Other than the obvious safety issues of going too far offshore or the potential for dirty wind with offshore winds, are there other things to consider when kiting offshore winds? Any tips for a safe and enjoyable session? Thanks, SR
I've never seen anyone go out in offshore winds with one exception, he died 10 years ago. I guess if you had boat support it might work,otherwise you'll probably just die eventually.Maybe I'm just a killjoy though!

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Has thanked: 0

Postby yomotha » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 am

I've kited in offshore winds many times. Depends on the spot. If you can see the opposite side, go for it. If not, then you'd likely need boat support. The wind would have to be blowing offshore from an area with very little trees or hills as well.... otherwise way too gusty and/or a big wind shadow.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 am

Whale watching at night...... What everyone one else said.... The best intentions to stay close to shore until you find yourself suddenly far from shore in split second. You fall. you are over your head. and you are going further and further offshore until there is that moment when you get that feeling in your stomach that you are alone out there and there is more and more distance between you and the beach..And you are now introuble. ( man this could be a great short story). You have no way fast back to shore and you'll have to beat a course back to safety which can take a long time......unless of course you have boat support or an epirb..... Think about all the stuff that could wrong and then do it anyway-YOLO !

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 am

Do it!

Be prepared to ditch your gear and swim in if the shit hits the fan.
Crossoff is some of the best kiting you can do in waves..... if not the best!
6742523.jpg
1609902_10153811137000085_1389221199_n.jpg
1146983_10152165603689832_960119416_o.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 am

Side off is easily my favorite direction for waves. its just the best for crushing waves.
Offshore can be super fun too, but again know what you are doing. We've had people who did not heed advice. Some ended up on offshore buoys and some getting rescued by boats.

Now when that is said, you really have to plan it out. Some side off places aren't as bad as others so it is hard for people to give you advice on this. Once thing is pretty clear many places with offshore wind will not have very stable wind. It means the wind will be shifty, gusty and might just stop all together. Secondly if you are on an island offshore winds tend to add an element of know-when-to-bail.

Anywhoo...think through what you are doing and definitely do not push boundaries to a point where margins are super thin....because something will go wrong at some point.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 am

I've been in side offshore before, it was ok, made me a bit nervous.

Since then though I've had a long swim in after my kite tore itself a new one in the middle of my bay, it was onshore and even though I knew I was drifting into the beach, it was still a little scary, probably wouldn't do an offshore unless there was a boat.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 am

There's a simple rule. Never go out further than you can swim.

That rule applies whenever. The distance you can swim is greatly influenced by the direction and force of the wind. Amongst others.

In other words....think carefully.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 am

very true,, hard to swim against v strong offshores always say to yourself if my kite stops working for whatever reason.. no wind, collapse, broken line, dropped it.. etc

am.i able /comfortable swimming in.. and then say to yourself not to fu_& up anyway

if offshore i would try and wear some kind of wetsuit even if super warm water for buoyancy i been wearing a leash too, i hate leashes with a kite but way out on the reef....

offshore is shite, side with a bit of off is ok, the problem can be you end up with too much speed even with a high depower kite.

wind angles versus wave direction for kiting is even more fussy than surfing ...... but in some places the sun and moon aligns..

corros geraldton aussie, namoutu lefts, cloudies, fiji, the naki, some places in indo, some waves around here. are good. . that cabo verde wave looks fun,. had some dirty wind sessions at mokes too

nothingbeats real surfing in offshore but the feeling with a kite is pretty cool, the waves.... waaay heavier, the issue ... going too fast/ out of control... you see it all the time in kite surf vid clips, hence too many cuts..

jayz if you got offshore and waves, go surfing ... new hobby!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 am

ah.. another gem of advice.... dont kite sick conditions fir hours until u drop if you know what i mean .... need some reserve energy to get in.. and that reminds me.. kite with good competent friends that wont mske thinks worse if u get in a situations.. my friends have pulled me out of life threatening situations, and i have dobe likewise back... always a big pain when you travel to a remote heavy sick spot and your buddy didnt come too!

windsurfers have got better control than kiters i reckon in many offshore situtions. ie real full depower.. and real surfing smokes both by a million times in most situations.

Return to “Kitesurfing”