North Spike 162
2017 North Click Bar
2017 North Trust Bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Drysuit - Best ways to get into and out of your Drysuit

Postby virk0918 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm looking for some advice on how to best get into and out of a drysuit. I just tried my Rodeo Soul for the first time yesterday and I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to not F-up the latex seals. Also, as I am new to these I was wondering if the neoprene boots, gloves and headgear will hurt the latex seals?

Thanks in advance.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DRYSUIT - Best ways to get into and out of your Drysuit

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Avoiding the obvious will see you just fine for getting on and off (avoid anything that might cut or tear the seals - like long fingernails). For me only the heel seals are really tight to get on as obviously your feet are much fatter than your ankles. I try and hook a finger under the entire seal so I can ease it over my foot as a technique. I have heard you can stretch the seals by leaving a round object like a bottle/can in for a few hours but have never tried as the fit is comfortable when fully on.

If you kite at a stony spot then take a spare car mat to change on so you don't accidentally puncture anything.

No problems after 2 seasons with a OR Heat drysuit using wet boots and gloves and a hood. Its more the oils on your skin that I believe damage the seals. For me, wearing gloves keeps the oil inside the gloves. I try to coat the seals with the conditioning agent twice a year (once mid season and then again at the end of the season after a thorough wash ready to put away for the summer.

My only criticism would be that the water repellent coating (DWR coating) doesn't seem to last all that long and I haven't yet found a re-coating substitute that lasts more than about 20 minutes. Got a new substance to try this year though ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”