Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ram airs crash in 2018

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby sabraxas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:14 am

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 am
Sorry if I messed windspeeds and places. Anyway, 50kn is not very high speed for kite traction, except on the water it is. Like I wrote much higher speeds have been reached on hard surfaces with low AR LEI's which are the most "inefficient" kites there is.


I agree. In lower winds race foil kites are of course fastest. I tried to think what kind of foil kite could be best for speed records in high winds. I have some ideas but much of it is guesswork.

Excuse me, kite expert... Have you ever gone in 57.97 kn of speed on water with a kiteboard? in 30 kn?

How much higher speeds on hard surfaces do you refer? In skies, mountainboard, snowboard, kitebuggy? 100 - 150 kn?

As i can see, the world speed record in kitebuggy is 72 - 73 kn...
I guess 20% faster siting down in kitebuggy is not much higher speed than standing in a kiteboard in almost 60 kn...


longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2479
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: Toilet Stance
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9 / Brunotti 2face

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 am

holy... that is fast!

i reckon the fastest would be a solid wing if it can be made light enough.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby pj sofine » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Up to 6 pages ! Mission accomplished oh subversive one! :anon:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:20 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby kitexpert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:30 pm

sabraxas wrote: Have you ever gone in 57.97 kn of speed on water with a kiteboard? in 30 kn?
No, not anywhere near. Of course current record on the water is very respectable. AFAIK wind was then more like 50kn than 30kn.
sabraxas wrote:How much higher speeds on hard surfaces do you refer?
Not much higher but much more accessible. To hit 40-50kn on hard surface is nothing unusual and if conditions are optimal 60-70kn is possible.
sabraxas wrote: I guess 20% faster siting down in kitebuggy is not much higher speed than standing in a kiteboard in almost 60 kn...
73kn is 25% higher speed than 58kn. It is a huge difference.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm

sabraxas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 am
...
And i think the new Flysurfer Soul is a real game changer for freeriders :thumb:
The Speed4 (pre-Lotus version on my pic few posts above) which was released about demise time of Psycho4 and Speed3 was somewhat breakthrough design and Speed4 Lotus made by stencils of Speed3 was a throwback considering features
- no silly jet flaps
- sewn in string along front of leading edge to keep shape in light wind
- sewn in battens on leading edge
- A/B/Z bridles only for less drag, one-pulley-per-wingtip, and overall simplicity

But...it changed nothing. People who love foils on snow and buggy and race will keep them as their weapon of choice until there's something better (and racers dumped LEIs and formula boards so fast that there's no question of "loyalty" or "safety considerations" - it's all about winning the race. period). And people who can't possibly enjoy foils because of shitty launch spots, crazy wind shadows/lulls, considering bridle equalizing a pain, lack of swim-in safety, slow turning, lack of looping speed/powerstroke or whatever else won't be moving over from LEIs.

And that's perfectly fine, but it's not a game changer.

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby sabraxas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm

grigorib wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm
sabraxas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 am
...
And i think the new Flysurfer Soul is a real game changer for freeriders :thumb:


And that's perfectly fine, but it's not a game changer.

Did you consider the price?

All that features of a foil Kite and the handling and relaunchability of an inflatable at the price of an inflatable...

For me, all the combo is a gamechanger. Freeride Inflatable Kite guys demoing the Soul are being spelled, reconsidering changing their kites for Souls.
Last edited by sabraxas on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby sabraxas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:30 pm
sabraxas wrote: Have you ever gone in 57.97 kn of speed on water with a kiteboard? in 30 kn?
No, not anywhere near. Of course current record on the water is very respectable. AFAIK wind was then more like 50kn than 30kn.
sabraxas wrote:How much higher speeds on hard surfaces do you refer?
Not much higher but much more accessible. To hit 40-50kn on hard surface is nothing unusual and if conditions are optimal 60-70kn is possible.
sabraxas wrote: I guess 20% faster siting down in kitebuggy is not much higher speed than standing in a kiteboard in almost 60 kn...
73kn is 25% higher speed than 58kn. It is a huge difference.
It depends. 25%, from 58 to 73 kn, is not a huge difference to me.

Both are huge high speeds with kites :-)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:49 pm

sabraxas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm
...
Did you consider the price?

All that features of a foil Kite and the handling and relaunchability of an inflatable at the price of an inflatable...

For me, all the combo is a gamechanger. Freeride Inflatable Kite guys demoing the Soul are being spelled, reconsidering changing their kites for Souls.
So let’s say I buy new 10m Soul for $1300 and it’s about twice the price I pay of a new 10m Rally. And speaking of Rally I get more grunt, turning speed, and loop power (and depower too) out of my 9m Rally than from my 10m Speed4 and I know how to fly both.
To be fair - 6 years of development between Speed4 and Soul is probably as much as changes in Rally 2012-2018 but 10m Rally 2012 I had is par to 9m Rally 2017 I ride

But still I and people like me won’t be able to enjoy a foil kite in conditions I described above. And wait until they need a repair to be done and bridles equalized - that would be a major WTF moment for them.

Time will show who is right here. I don’t forget, so let’s check it again in fall 2019 :)

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby sabraxas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Hahahahaha, you are comparing apples with bananas.

I own a speed 4 Lotus and theres a huge improvement in Souls.

Anyway, i was talking of first class inflatables kites, wich prices around 2000 dollars.

Lets talk about it in 3-5 years. Time will tell the truth.

It takes time square minded people becomes round shaped.

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Psycho, Speed, Sonic, Soul
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L
Nobile T5
Nobile Infinity Split with Zen Foil, NHP Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Contact:

Re: Ram airs crash in 2018

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 pm

grigorib wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:49 pm
sabraxas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm
...
Did you consider the price?

All that features of a foil Kite and the handling and relaunchability of an inflatable at the price of an inflatable...

For me, all the combo is a gamechanger. Freeride Inflatable Kite guys demoing the Soul are being spelled, reconsidering changing their kites for Souls.
So let’s say I buy new 10m Soul for $1300 and it’s about twice the price I pay of a new 10m Rally. And speaking of Rally I get more grunt, turning speed, and loop power (and depower too) out of my 9m Rally than from my 10m Speed4 and I know how to fly both.
To be fair - 6 years of development between Speed4 and Soul is probably as much as changes in Rally 2012-2018 but 10m Rally 2012 I had is par to 9m Rally 2017 I ride

But still I and people like me won’t be able to enjoy a foil kite in conditions I described above. And wait until they need a repair to be done and bridles equalized - that would be a major WTF moment for them.

Time will show who is right here. I don’t forget, so let’s check it again in fall 2019 :)
Completely different kites there and I know you’re talking about the S4 DLXs not the lotus. There was a huge leap in performance after the Speed 4 lotus. That Soul 10m will easily cover 2 of your inflatable kites.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillyGoatGruff, Bing [Bot], maxriderkite and 9 guests