Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Klokhuis & Appleflap noseless
Da Kine C-1
Brand Affiliation: Promoter

Re: Fireball with slider bar question

Postby peppedurso » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:01 pm
You guys are seriously endangering yourselves with those setups!

There is no where near enough space for the folded latch of the fireball QR to safely pass through those setups.

You need lots of space for that QR latch to swing through cleanly when you release.
Hi Slappysan,

the clearance of the original piece is even smaller than the one I'm using. I'm not sure to what are you referring to...Further 316 inox I think it's strong enough. Would I recommend this set up for big air? NO. Would I recommend for waveriding? Absolutely yes.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:26 pm

peppedurso wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 pm
Slappysan wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:01 pm
You guys are seriously endangering yourselves with those setups!

There is no where near enough space for the folded latch of the fireball QR to safely pass through those setups.

You need lots of space for that QR latch to swing through cleanly when you release.
Hi Slappysan,

the clearance of the original piece is even smaller than the one I'm using. I'm not sure to what are you referring to...Further 316 inox I think it's strong enough. Would I recommend this set up for big air? NO. Would I recommend for waveriding? Absolutely yes.
316 is strong enough, higher quality stainless (inox) is more brittle than 316 (unless forged, as said previously)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am

peppedurso wrote:
Honestly that Wichard swivel shackle you have will be the last thing to break after the lines and the amsteel slider rope.

As for the clearance though, that hex nut is awful close to the fireball hinge. If you look at the Cabrinha attach point you'll notice that it's hollow below the hinge.
Fireball_IMG_6584.JPG
I've also updated my earlier post with the correct ring, I had the wrong one before. The correct one needs to be 3/16" and should be 1" interior diameter:
Fireball_IMG_6586.JPG

peppedurso
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding
Da Kine C-1

Postby peppedurso » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am
peppedurso wrote:
Honestly that Wichard swivel shackle you have will be the last thing to break after the lines and the amsteel slider rope.

As for the clearance though, that hex nut is awful close to the fireball hinge. If you look at the Cabrinha attach point you'll notice that it's hollow below the hinge.
Fireball_IMG_6584.JPG

I've also updated my earlier post with the correct ring, I had the wrong one before. The correct one needs to be 3/16" and should be 1" interior diameter:
Fireball_IMG_6586.JPG
I was thinking to dismantle the lower part of the fireball and connect the metal part to the hinge on one side and to the rope with a carabiner, in order to have a stiff connection, on the other side.
Seems easy but still haven’t found a decent rated ring here in Italy.

peppedurso
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding
Da Kine C-1

Postby peppedurso » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 pm

I guess I’ve found a nice solution.