Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultra V2 or Nexus?

Forum for kitesurfers
roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.
Brand Affiliation: None

Ultra V2 or Nexus?

Postby roninXpl » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 pm

The core of my quiver are XRs 11+9+7. I love big air and I mostly freeride.
I started foiling this year so I also got Sonic2 13m and later on an Airush Ultra v2 12m which I like a lot but I haven’t ridden TT or jumped with it.

I feel that the XRs are not that great to foil with, so I’m looking to get smaller kite for foiling (and maybe wave next year, maybe) so I’m deciding whether to get Ultra V2 9m or go with Nexus, but then I’m not sure whether it makes sense to also keep XRs - so maybe Nexus 10m and 8m or maybe just 9m and keep XRs. Im not looking to foil in wind above lower 20kt.
Let’s say budget is not an issue but overal quiver size is.

I’m thinking:
1) Ultra v2 12m and Nexus 10m+8m or 9m+7m and sell XRs == 3 kites quiver, I’ll miss XRs big air easiness
2) Ultra v2 12m+9m and keep XRs (11+9+7) == 5 kites quiver and I would have to think what to take for travels

Any advice about Nexus vs Ultra V2?
Which set would be the best bet for foiling+big air+wave?

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ultra V2 or Nexus?

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Ultra V2 is amazing for foiling. It is okay for jumps, but it is not a big air kite. It is also very good in the surf due to it's light weight and drift characteristics.

The Nexus is a fun all around style kite but I would not choose it for foiling. It is gong to be much better than the Ultra for big air. I have not ridden it in the surf, but I would not choose it for the surf based on how it flies while twin tip riding.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Ozone Alpha might be worth consideration too.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 am

For foiling in very light wind definitively the Ultra is the way to go it will stay in the air in almost no wind and drift downwind effortlessly. When you get into the smaller size like 9m it's less of an issue so pick the one you like best because there is enough wind to keep it up there even when charging downwind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 am
For foiling in very light wind definitively the Ultra is the way to go it will stay in the air in almost no wind and drift downwind effortlessly. When you get into the smaller size like 9m it's less of an issue so pick the one you like best because there is enough wind to keep it up there even when charging downwind.

Almost correct.

A 9 m2 kite can be used from 9-10 knots with a foilboard.

Some "normal" LEI kites works just cool in this wind, the lighter ones, but other ones particularly the big brands for heavy freestyle use, are simply too heavy and dont work well at all for this - many of my friends realized this, not fun…
Even an above average weight guy found his otherwise awesome 9 m2 Naish wavekite to be useless for hydrofoiling, as it could not be relaunched and dropped from the sky soooo easily sometimes :(

If you are the type that ride in more wind only with a 9, or heavier, no problem, but for average weights and freeride/freestyle/wavefoils, 9-11 knots is the range where the 9 m2's work.

For smaller kites though, 8 m2 and smaller, you can use anything you like I would say, as there is usually 12 knots and more where everything works :naughty:

The lighter kites are still a lot better also in the small sizes below 9 m2, for foilboarding - but a luxury and not needed like in 9-10 m2 and up.

8) Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:35 am

Ronin,

I started foiling 2+ years ago and have had approx 90 sessions this season. 1 of them on surfboard. I got so wrapped up learning foil skills I totally lost interest in SB. (I gave up TT 4-5 years ago due to increased injury risk and long recovery time at 55+ years.)
The foil opens up so many session days that I don't have more time, I kite as much as my time allows. Conditions are not limit, but time. Have so many sessions, that if it's 22knts plus, I don't go!
I'm 76kg dry on moses 633 and 590 wings

That said, what I would do is:
keep your Core XRs for Tt.
Sell the Ultra.
Keep the Sonic 2 13m ( I have one) - use with foil
Buy a Ozone Hyperlink 9m UL as complement to complement Sonic

So for foiling :
6-12 knots(14 max): Sonic 2 13.
10-18 knots: Hyperlink 9 UL
Over 18 knots you'll need something smaller than 7m core I think. ( you should be on TT)

My foil quiver is:
Sonic2 13 ( 15% of sessions)
Ozone Hyperlink 9 m UL (80% of my sessions)
Ozone Hyperlink 7m ( 5% of sessions)
the overlapping wind ranges on these 3 kites are perfect.

Bear in mind that my local has tons of 8-18 knot days. Most often 10-16 knots. In south Sweden

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks TomW!
I did my share of time with RAM kites on TT and I’m not looking to get them. Got Sonic2 13m to squeeze more from the light wind days but below 8kt it’s hard work, especially when learning transitions, to keep them in air. I got 12m Ultra for it to be my low wind LEI. I must say Sonic2 beats it <10kt but >10kt Ultra is awesome, and I rode it up to 18kt on foilboard (which was not pleasant but doable).

I think I’ll forget about Nexus (mostly thanks to points made by rogue_kiteboarder) and keep my XRs.

Now I’m thinking whether to get Ultra V2 9m or 10m+8m and sell 12m in lue if keeping Sonic2 13m.

I could swap Sonic2 to some other low wind kite as I’m not planing on racing but that’s another story.

I’m 73kg dry. I have Moses Onda and looking to get Fluente. I also have custom made wing but smaller than Onda but similar shape, which I use for learning.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 pm

roninXpl wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:42 pm
Thanks TomW!
I did my share of time with RAM kites on TT and I’m not looking to get them. Got Sonic2 13m to squeeze more from the light wind days but below 8kt it’s hard work, especially when learning transitions, to keep them in air. I got 12m Ultra for it to be my low wind LEI. I must say Sonic2 beats it <10kt but >10kt Ultra is awesome, and I rode it up to 18kt on foilboard (which was not pleasant but doable).

I think I’ll forget about Nexus (mostly thanks to points made by rogue_kiteboarder) and keep my XRs.

Now I’m thinking whether to get Ultra V2 9m or 10m+8m and sell 12m in lue if keeping Sonic2 13m.

I could swap Sonic2 to some other low wind kite as I’m not planing on racing but that’s another story.

I’m 73kg dry. I have Moses Onda and looking to get Fluente. I also have custom made wing but smaller than Onda but similar shape, which I use for learning.

Your 12 m2 Ultra should be just perfect down to 7 knots, no doubt.

So if you want to ride in less, you need a lighter foilkite - your 13 m2 Sonic2 is IMO a tad on the heavy side for such marginal wind, but still a tad better than the Ultra, IF you can keep it in the air.

So if you got no problems having many kites (I dont), keep the Sonic2 so you can sqeeze the last knot or two out on light days :thumb:

Otherwise, get a ligher and bigger foilkite, OR, use the Ultra 12 m2 as your max size and forget about days with less than 7 knots.

8) PF

roninXpl
Medium Poster

Postby roninXpl » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks PF., but I’m looking to expand my foiling quiver to ride in more wind, not less.

Return to “Kitesurfing”