Forum for kitesurfers
azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Edge for beginners

Postby azoele » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello all,

can 19m Edge be considered a sensible choice for a beginner?
I am pretty heavy (105kg) beginner, and ride a 5.5 Nugget (with practically zero twin tip experience).
The idea is to get a large kit that would allow me to go out and practice even in low winds (8knt? 9 or 10?).

I found an Edge in that size at the right price/condition, and was wandering whether it would fit the bill for me, or if it could be too difficult a kite to fly (I currently use a 14m DNA).
Alternatives I have thought about (and/or available used) are the 18m Juice (2016), the 17m Zephyr (2013), or the new Ultra v2 17m (new).

Is it a crazy plan, or is it sound?
I just hate seeing (admittedly very expert, and I think 20 kgs thinner...) kiters gliding gently on a 17m and a surf in really low winds... and watching them from afar.
I need a lot of time before I can attempt to hydrofoil, but also: I need more time on the water, or I'll just drop the sport as it's horrible to live hoping for just a bit of wind (and find I am busy or just can't go!)! :D

The collective intelligence on the forum steered me correctly on the surfboard already (the first time I planed on it, it just felt like wonderful!) so I thought I might ask again... instead of risking a big – and potentially dangerous – mistake!

Thanks all,
Lopi

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Re: Ozone Edge for beginners

Postby ScoopZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Lopi,
I got a 13m edge after flying various bows and bandits for a few seasons. I do like it very much but now I'm using a 5.6 SB more and dabbling in foilboard I need kites with a bit more drift and easy relaunch.

The thing with an edge is I don't think it is a hard kite to fly at all, generates more power than you think it could once you get it moving. It's characteristics that are tricky are relaunch is very cumbersome especially in light wind. Very long wingtip that does not rotate around. The other is that it flies faster so you need to be aware that you need to be comfortable with a bit more board speed as a beginner. It wouldn't be the best for self launching either, used to launch mine off a ground anchor in light wind and it would always roll off the wingtip. Much better with an assisted launch and always recommend that

I'd never stop using a directional, as you say its so much fun, its just that the edge prefers to go in a straight line all the time (also jumps). I hope someone can advise you on the suitability of the zephyr as I think that would be more ideal. (Both 5 strut kites).

Good luck with your choice.

azoele
Frequent Poster

Postby azoele » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks Scoopz, interesting read for me.

I'd want a kite with enough pull, but still easy to fly and relaunch.
Given my limited experience, it'll be quite a bit of time before I get interested in aerobatics or tricks.

I just wish to be on the water as much as I can!
Better file the Edge as a "specialty" kite, then.

Thanks,
Lopi

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:53 pm

I love the Ozone Edge. However, I would not recommend the Edge in any size for a beginner. I would also not recommend a 19m kite in any model for a beginner. Finally, I wouldn't recommend lots of light wind sessions for a beginner.

You'd do much better finding an all-around medium aspect bow kite (Switchblade, Rally, etc.) in a 14-15 m size and practicing in moderate winds. A high aspect kite like the Edge, a 19 m kite size, and light wind will be terribly frustrating for you if you are still at the beginner stage.

The Zephyr and the Juice are good light wind kites, and may be better than the Edge for a beginner, but not as good as a medium aspect all-around kite. I am not familiar with the Ultra.

Once you have some basic experience, you'll be able to easily ride your directional in light wind with a 17 m Zephyr or Edge like the "expert" riders you see at your spot. But they didn't just start doing that. They progressed to that point with other more user-friendly kites. :thumb:

azoele
Frequent Poster

Postby azoele » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:24 pm

FLandOBX, thanks for the suggestion on kites.
"Finally, I wouldn't recommend lots of light wind sessions for a beginner. ": eh! I wouldn't too... :) but these are the conditions I'll be facing for the next months to come, so... sigh! :-?

But I am not one to discourage easily: my first lessons were in 8knts, with the kite barely floating (and many a rush on the beach to keep it from stalling...), waiting for a tiny bit of extra breeze to make it stay up by itself.
I'd then get in the water, and try waterstarts.
Now, picture this: a 105kg absolute beginner attempting waterstarts in 9knts, on a 131x39 board :D
(and I kept trying, and trying, and failing and failing... and I just didn't care, so happy to be in the water!).

I know I get hugely more frustrated by not going out than I ever would by experiencing difficulties due to large kites and complex-low-wind conditions... hence my desire for a kite that at least gives me a chance to be out there.
I figure, there'll be lot of time to learn tricks and play in better winds... and I'll have much more experience by then than if I had to wait for conditions to be proper and practice only then.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience: at my level, I'm finding every bit of suggestion I receive eventually gets useful, and saves me much time, or trouble! :thumb:
Lopi

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:53 pm
I would also not recommend a 19m kite in any model for a beginner. Finally, I wouldn't recommend lots of light wind sessions for a beginner.

You'd do much better finding an all-around medium aspect bow kite (Switchblade, Rally, etc.) in a 14-15 m size and practicing in moderate winds. A high aspect kite like the Edge, a 19 m kite size, and light wind will be terribly frustrating for you if you are still at the beginner stage.
Agree with above and I'd go even a bit lower (12m kite). If you learn in light wind (less than 15 kn or so) you are likely to loose a lot of time relaunching or trying to. Many kites might backstall a bit which is often not recognized by a beginner and therefore a nuisance. Moderate winds is much better. Also, although I've never owned an edge, I understand that they are built quite light (as in for racing). I expect they won't handle frequent crashes very well. Also not sure about relaunch but I expect most alround kites as mentioned above to be better.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:36 pm

azoele wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:24 pm
FLandOBX, thanks for the suggestion on kites.
"Finally, I wouldn't recommend lots of light wind sessions for a beginner. ": eh! I wouldn't too... :) but these are the conditions I'll be facing for the next months to come, so... sigh! :-?
Sorry, I should have read your post better before replying. Good luck with it then..

azoele
Frequent Poster

Postby azoele » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:40 pm

That's ok, I thought my message might have gone unnoticed :thumb:
I so wish I had easy access to steady 15+ knts conditions, though: I'm sure it'd be much, much easier as you suggested...
And yes: backstalling still is a bit of a nemesis :)

Lopi

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm

My son started this summer and I got him a Rally due to the easy restart and beginner friendliness. After a few tryout we were going nowhere so I handed him my beloved edge 10 and he was kiting the same day - even staying upwind. He loves that kite as it delivers linear and controllable power. That’s to the beginner question. I also didn’t plan to hand MY kite over to him ;-)

Now I also own a 17 for the light winds. Also very controllable but nothing like the 10. I would suggest that your 19 is too big even for a heavier rider. Keep in mind that a big board helps way more than a big kite. But that is true for any big kite. I also have 5th line for the 17 as relaunch in really low wind is a struggle with any kite and a 5th line always helps to increase your odds

So absolutely yes on the Edge as a beginner kite. But I assume your size is just too big.

G

azoele
Frequent Poster

Postby azoele » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks knyfe.
By the way: how much do you weigh? (as 17 is enough for your weight, perhaps it might be for mine, too).

Lopi

Return to “Kitesurfing”