Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pain at the Elbow - Kiter's Elbow: Treatment & Prevention

Forum for kitesurfers
caps
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pain at the Elbow - Kiter's Elbow: Treatment & Prevention

Postby caps » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Don't overcomplicate it. It's from overuse. Rest is all you need.

And if you can't stop kiting (Me!), change the way the way you torque the bar so it doesn't flareup. Your wrist should remain neutral when working the bar to control your kite. Stop the bad habit of using your bar like a steering wheel vs. simply pulling in one direction back and forth with wrist neutral.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Don’t undercomplicate it, either. It might be from overuse. It might be from misuse and need a slight fix to function properly again. If you have time to waste try just resting it and guessing what might help by yourself. If you want to get back to being active quickly find someone who knows what the possibilities are and can tell you what you can do that will actually help. As I said before, it’s easier and faster to fix it when you know what the actual problem is.
Or not.

caps
Medium Poster

Postby caps » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:07 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:16 pm
Don’t undercomplicate it, either. It might be from overuse. It might be from misuse and need a slight fix to function properly again. If you have time to waste try just resting it and guessing what might help by yourself. If you want to get back to being active quickly find someone who knows what the possibilities are and can tell you what you can do that will actually help. As I said before, it’s easier and faster to fix it when you know what the actual problem is.
Or not.
And that's how modern medicine has become such a big business. Offer the latest and greatest with no good data/studies to back up the "fix". Those who accept cash/insurance seem to always have an answer. Common sense, please. Tendonitis is overuse. Change your use or give it a rest! You don't need a phd or md for that!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:17 am

Wasn’t the latest and greatest offered
Or about medicine
Or about money
Or about common sense, which isn’t that common

There are
Good plumbers & bad plumbers
Good electricians & bad electricians
Good car mechanics & bad car mechanics
Good body workers & bad body workers

Sorry if you have only met the bad ones or none at all.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:55 am

For me rest alone did not work. I had tennis elbow for 10 years now and had 5 periods of long rest - anything from 6 months to 3 years. I would start playing tennis again and elbow would go after 2 days if playing.
The Flexbar made my elbow stronger without tearing it apart in the process. I've been playing for 2 years now. The rest before using Flexbar is required. ABSOLUTELY.
But AFAIAC rest alone does not make your elbow stronger. Pain goes but as soon as you start your activities it might go again as happened to me 4 or 5 times.
Of course if your case is not too bad and activity is not too demanding your elbow might get stronger while doing this activity.
But for some any attempt on tennis or kitesurfing will ruin it again before elbow tendon has a chance of getting stronger. This is where Flexbar comes in. The beauty of it is that that u control amount of force required by using red or yellow one plus by twisting it less. Thus u allow a very weak elbow to exercise without tearing your tendons again.
Another use for it is to keep your tendons "fit" during periods of inactivity, because inactivity often makes it weaker too.

It works believe me. There was some research in Netherlands I think and it cured 60% of about a 100 cases and helped anofer35%. I will try to find a link later.

Return to “Kitesurfing”