Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

fitting boots on a shinn monk ?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:56 am

I have a 2014 shinn monk 2 (134cm). Could i fit boots to this for winter riding ? (82kg) I'm not sure the board is strong enough ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=2014+sh ... idfOJCfxVM:

NorthRider69
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Paros, Naxos, Qatar, Oman
Style: free ride , freestyle , wave
Gear: Dice , Vegas, Duotone Whip, Gambler
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: fitting boots on a shinn monk ?

Postby NorthRider69 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi, based on the board length alone of the Monk and your weight, boots would not do your board or your riding any justice at all.
You need a minimum of 142 cm board with decent rocker. In fact, 134 cm is really pushing it even with straps. I would go for a 137 cm board minimum but preferably 139cm in Straps and riding in boots 142 +.
Happy riding
Last edited by NorthRider69 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 pm

What are you talking about? A 42cm width board is exactly the right size for a 82kg rider on a monk.

I'm sure I have seen Mr Shinn in the past saying it would work but isn't ideal. You might be able to find it with the search but there's a lot to wade through.

If its just an odd occasion thing then I'd go for it. If its a more regular thing then you really want to find yourself something stiffer like the ultrasonic/ronson/adhd as the monk doesn't generate pop in quite the same way (carve pop rather than stomp pop) so you might be holding yourself back a bit. The other models also have more insert points so you'd get a better range of adjustment for setting them up.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 pm

The Monk is probably worth piss all so if you don't care put boots on it and try it, then report back with pics.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:10 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 pm
What are you talking about? A 42cm width board is exactly the right size for a 82kg rider on a monk.

I'm sure I have seen Mr Shinn in the past saying it would work but isn't ideal. You might be able to find it with the search but there's a lot to wade through.

If its just an odd occasion thing then I'd go for it. If its a more regular thing then you really want to find yourself something stiffer like the ultrasonic/ronson/adhd as the monk doesn't generate pop in quite the same way (carve pop rather than stomp pop) so you might be holding yourself back a bit. The other models also have more insert points so you'd get a better range of adjustment for setting them up.
There's no limitation setting boots on a small board, it just doesn't work best... 42 width for 80+ kilos rider is not much either, unless the board is flat as pancake, which doesn't make sense to put boots on it and so on...

NorthRider69
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Paros, Naxos, Qatar, Oman
Style: free ride , freestyle , wave
Gear: Dice , Vegas, Duotone Whip, Gambler
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NorthRider69 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 am

Hi , its not so much the width of the board as it is the length and rocker line , stiffness and flex . Things have changed these days , You need a longer board with boots. you will plane much quicker due to more surface area. My suggestion Minimum 140cm + length and at least 42cm width and decent rocker for easy cruising and a soft landing .
Have a look at this video by Rygo at Mckiteboarding clearly explained. My next board for big air in straps will be 139 and next board for free style - 142 cm with boots

Happy riding
NorthRider69

Return to “Kitesurfing”