Palawan Philippines

Forum for kitesurfers
rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds
Brand Affiliation: None

Palawan Philippines

Postby rjkritzer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:16 pm

There is not much information on kiting in Palawan....just enough to make the idea of going there very interesting!

I will be in Manila in January, and will only have 4 days (including travel time) to find beautiful, crystal clear, flat water. Thinking of flying to El Nido and searching out some places, but this is not well researched on my part! I see Qi Palawan resort offers some kiting, so that may be a fall back if I cannot find more beautiful water in the area.

Does anyone here have experience with Palawan & El Nido, or another spot that is an easy flight from Manila?

Thanks!

Islakite Boracay
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Boracay, Philippines
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines.
Rodrigues island, Mauritius.
Dakhla, Morrocco.
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One Bandit 4, 7m and 10m
F-One Bandit 3, 15m
F-One Acid III 132x40.5
Crazyfly Slash, 9m.
Brand Affiliation: F-One, Crazyfly, Mystic
Has thanked: 0

Re: Palawan Philippines

Postby Islakite Boracay » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 am

I guess you don't find info because there is not much wind there :P
Check out Boracay:
It's never been so good and uncrowded ;-)

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Postby rjkritzer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:13 am

Hey! Your timing is amazing.

I decided to make the trip. The wind was on the weaker side, but I kited 3 straight days on a 12M. The forecast was accurate 10 days out showing a drop off, but showed much stronger winds the days before I arrived, and after I left. This is very typical of my timing, but from what I could tell the wind is usually decent for kiting.

This is a pretty easy trip once you are in Manila. Take a quick flight from Manila to El Nido on Swift Air. Great plane with 30 or so rows and a great flight. After arriving at the El Nido airport (make sure you reserve you van in adavance - there are no taxis hanging around) you will have a 45 minute drive to the east side of the island. When you arrive you will see an expansive beach, wide open sea for kiting (no waves, rolling swells only) with a beautiful backdrop of mountain islands.

I stayed at the Ursula Beach Club - Awesome place, awesome owner and staff. Rent the Hillside Cottage as the view is amazing. Be aware that power supply is limited during the day and runs off a generator. It is the lifestyle there - so relaxing and the food is delicious.

The water is very warm! You can kite right off the beach at the Ursula Beach Club or go to Kite Club kite school which is a 5 minute walk up the beach. There is a big swing from high to low tide, but that just means you may walk an extra 50 meters to start. There are many patches of seaweed as well as sandy bottom areas. Probably not a great place for learning (in my opinion only) or foiling (which I know nothing about), but if you are riding a TT it is a great place to be. Other guests were there for diving and claim they saw manta rays and other beautiful sea life. The dive school is on the same property as Ursula Beach Club.

Overall, it was an amazing experience.

I would definitely return to El Nido, but like changing things up, so hope to see you in Boracay next year!

rjkritzer
Rare Poster

Postby rjkritzer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:32 am

Here are some photos:
IMG_0053.JPG
PKA competition underway
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_9952.JPG
View from the hillside cottage

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Islakite Boracay wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 am
I guess you don't find info because there is not much wind there :P
Check out Boracay:
It's never been so good and uncrowded ;-)
Why is Boracay uncrowded now? Didn't the Philipine governement have to close it because the overcrowding hurt the island? Is it reopened without tourists being back in the same numbers as before?

Return to “Kitesurfing”