Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New starter to this

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:29 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 pm
*I'd recommend buying a 4-line kite, as opposed to a 5-line. Most new kites are 4-line now.
There is one detail in this recommendation which deserves further discussion, though we are covering that on another thread.

C-kites can be 4 or 5 line. But you do not want a C-kite to learn on, even in some of the safest locations.

By "4 line kite", FLandOBX means modern bridled (Supported Leading Edge) kites - NOT C-KITES. Some of these bridles (SLE) kites are still geared toward advanced users, though the safety/relaunch system is reasonably easy for beginners. But you are best off on a more stable "beginners" model kite that will help remove some of the frustration of learning.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:29 am
FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 pm
*I'd recommend buying a 4-line kite, as opposed to a 5-line. Most new kites are 4-line now.
There is one detail in this recommendation which deserves further discussion, though we are covering that on another thread.

C-kites can be 4 or 5 line. But you do not want a C-kite to learn on, even in some of the safest locations.

By "4 line kite", FLandOBX means modern bridled (Supported Leading Edge) kites - NOT C-KITES. Some of these bridles (SLE) kites are still geared toward advanced users, though the safety/relaunch system is reasonably easy for beginners. But you are best off on a more stable "beginners" model kite that will help remove some of the frustration of learning.
+1 :thumb:

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sergei Scotland » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:05 pm

I am a beginner too but heavier at 208 pounds 94 kg. I bought a new Blade trigger 10m as my first kite, which was a mistake. I think I should have bought 12 instead as my main kite and would add 9 and 15 later. I mean for learning you want less wind bigger kite. 9 or 10 should be my smallest kite in 3 kite quiver for a while. So I agree that u may want to go for biggest of your quiver first - 12 for 7—9—12 usual quiver for your weight may be. May be 11. You would want to avoid strong wind while you are learning anyway! Unless your home spot blows constant 18- 20 mph+ of course. Then you would buy the middle kite of your quiver I guess.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Don't listen to nonesense suggesting people who make a living selling you stuff are not to be trusted, it is exactly the opposite, those there are left after the ravages of the recessions are still here in the UK precisely because they are valued by their local kite communities, this forum is the last place to seek advice. In your case if you are from Southport, you're not far from Rhyl, take a trip down there and see Simon Jones, of Pro Kitesurf, he'll probably recommend a Liquid Force initially with whom he has good relations with his supplier, he also sells Slingshot and Core although has only started dealing with them recently. But check out the shop, he's got a competition going on next week so something for you to watch and lots of people there, Dec 8th Emporer of the Air, or give him a call.
Better to seek out a kite professional who will study your size, weight, stance width etc, ask about your ability and aspirations and it's in their interest you get the right kit so you come back time and again for more stuff as your riding improves and matures.

Return to “Kitesurfing”