Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sri Lanka (kalpitiya) in winter season?

Postby Blindek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello,

I would be very thankfull to get some first person opinion and expirience from people who has been in Sri Lanka in winter season.
I am reading forums, blog posts, almost everything and to be honest, I am still not convinced about the wind in the winter season.
I know is not so good as summer season, that is also quite good, I read some statistics, but I am afraid that is not so good.

Can anyone write down his kitesurfing expirience in winter months in Sri Lanka? How many days you were kiting, how many kite days you has, which kite you were using and so on.

So what someone can really expirience and how relyable is the spot in winter months.

P.S.: please no self promotion posts :wink:

Thank you

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Re: Sri Lanka (kalpitiya) in winter season?

Postby jorg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 am

will be there between 29dec -15 Jan. based on my research yes, it s not that windy as in Summer 20knts and + but windy enough to use your 12m or 15m. If there is any break in the wind status we will go to South for surf.

Blindek
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blindek » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:23 am

Thank you for the answer. I have also made a lot of researches, read forums, blogs, etc. Most of them talk that there is wind, about 12 - 20kn, as you said for 12-15m should be, but then on the other side a lot of kiters didn't advice me to go there in winter =). I have alo read (some old forum posts) that it is like 3 - 4 days of kitable wind per week, which is quite low.

I have check some wind statistic for the past I think jan, and was most of the days arround 14 knots on 2 pm, these is for me the low end for a good freeride kiting with 14m2 :)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 pm

I went last year from Dec 24th to just before New Years.

I was at Kite Lanka for 5 days. I got 4 days where I had both morning and evening sessions (which I was told was rare for the winter), and then one day where I only got a morning session that was lighter wind ( was on a 15m). The rest of the time I was on a 9m or 12m (im 200lbs).

I really liked it and would go back in a heart beat, but I'm always open to the idea that you can hit a bad patch of weather and get skunked. Hope that helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”