Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

attach carbine hook to spreader bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: attach carbine hook to spreader bar

Postby Bill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks Dazarter looks great. Yes I've had a few accidental unhookings. What did you do with the spreader bar? Did you cut the hook off or is the hook under the pully? How did you attach the line either side? Is that a Brummel splice one end?

Cheers..Bill

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't really like that setup. Puts the bar too far from the body. Resulting in potential, unintentional oversheeting, stalling the kite, loss of sheeting range for lulls and /or depower for max top end. Things get worse when carving, or riding toeside, or point high upwind. Kite needs to be trimmed excessively to compensate.

I prefer a tight rope so that when loaded the apex is at about hook distance. Attaching the chickenloop directly to the rope. No pulley. No ring. I have a small chickenloop, but wish it were even smaller to keep the bar in the sweetspot. This all reduces friction and allows for smooth sliding without the dramatic change in trim geometry while cruising.

Still wind up sheeting in slightly automatically when carving, riding toeside, pinching hard upwind. But don't mind it, it's almost like auto throttle.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave
Has thanked: 0

Postby dazarter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm

That a universal rope bar from Prolimit - i just changed it from the standard hook version (40 euros), i did try to convert the hook but due to the quick release it was not possible ;-( it has no hook. it is spliced on both ends.
its a very safe and super stable option! the Carabina is there because i start and land about 60 percent of the time - not possile when direct on the rope.....
but like you say the size is the downside - i use a seat harness so have a lower pull that a waist anyway...what the wear like when you directly attach the CL to the rope?

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 pm

I change the rope every year to two years depending on how much groundboarding and snowkiting I do per year. How much saltwater sessions I get too. Water season is the #1 priority.

The Core chickenloop has a pretty hard slippery cover with a wire core. Never had to replace the loop.

I teather launch and land often with no issues even with mitts on.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 pm

zerogee_ca wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm
I prefer a tight rope so that when loaded the apex is at about hook distance. Attaching the chickenloop directly to the rope. No pulley. No ring. I have a small chickenloop, but wish it were even smaller to keep the bar in the sweetspot. This all reduces friction and allows for smooth sliding without the dramatic change in trim geometry while cruising.
You can add a ronstan friction ring passed through the rope ; this put the bar closer to you and both increase the slide, reduced the wear :

quite expensive however ...

Wave53
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Great Lakes, Ontario
Gear: Cabrinha Kites, Slingshot SB, NorthFoil board.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wave53 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm

How do you tether launch / land with the CL attached directly to the rope slider? Just walk me through your steps. Seems to me that fiddling around with closing the CL over the rope, with kite bouncing around on the other end, is cumbersome.
Regis; does end of the CL ever slip off the ronstan friction ring ? If the CL slips off could it get jammed somehow under the ring and then not function properly? I do like the idea of the ring on the slider ropes, as opposed to CL directly, but wonder if it is not as simple as it seems. One more part to mess with.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:09 pm

I did not test it ( I use a small SS ring either sliding on my harness rope, or fixed in the middle of the harness ; I like Both) ; this idea and mounting is used by a friend and he is very happy with it ;

I think it is a wonderfull idea, and should I have to restart from scratch , I would test it to avoid changing all my CL to mini_cabrinha CLs (= a lot of work)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Wave53 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm
How do you tether launch / land with the CL attached directly to the rope slider?
There are a bunch of methods one way I've seen is to attach the carabiner to the post/sandbag and above the entire quick release (old style suicide). then launch as normal. Because the kite is tethered above the quick release, there's no tension on the chicken loop and you can take your time attaching it for launch and land.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Wave53 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm
How do you tether launch / land with the CL attached directly to the rope slider? Just walk me through your steps. Seems to me that fiddling around with closing the CL over the rope, with kite bouncing around on the other end, is cumbersome.
Regis; does end of the CL ever slip off the ronstan friction ring ? If the CL slips off could it get jammed somehow under the ring and then not function properly? I do like the idea of the ring on the slider ropes, as opposed to CL directly, but wonder if it is not as simple as it seems. One more part to mess with.
It is as simple.
I often tether launch.
When first started using the sliding rope, I had my reservations regarding the "fiddling around".
As it turned out, for no reason what so ever, its not much different as its one more hand movement.

It doesn't come of the Antal ring. (Fone CL)
However, I sometimes forget to put it on, and it just slides next to it, not even noticeable.
Have been using it for over 3 years, for me its the best setup.
20180323_093400.jpg

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm

You don't need any carabiner or other complicated solutions....
Seems like you need my " IDD " system :D
Inverted Donkey Dick....
You only need a one end spliced spectra rope (i.e. = you can use some old pigtail ) and a piece of PU tube ....
Since i ride with Dakine harness i attach the IDD to the bridge of the hook , but i also used it with other harnesses in the past attaching it to the center of the spreader bar just make a large tube ....
Remove the original donkey dick from your CL ...and ready
I use this system for many years now ,and never have a problem.... ,you have completly freedom of your CL rotating sideways in your hook ...
Carabiners , Rings, and others tends to deform and tear apart your CL in no time, since all the load of the kite it's at one narrow point in the middle of the CL ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”