knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to self launch a kite

Postby knotwindy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 am

One of the things I like about the tethered or anchored launch is that if you are even close to doing it right the kite can ONLY be in the right place relative to the wind direction. It just sits there waiting like a good dog. If it falls forward there is not enough wind to ride. If it bounces around it is too big a kite to ride comfortably but perfect to boost. Lots of safety info while still on the beach with no one else around.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Some kites even have a self launch system.
Self Launcher
With the Self Launcher, we are offering you a tool to easily solo-launch the BOOST3. Position the kite at the edge of the wind window, connect the sandbag (which comes with the kite), or any other bag and place this on the ground. Once the kite lines are tensioned the Self Launcher automatically releases safely at just the right moment.
https://flysurfer.com/project/boost3/
https://youtu.be/Nh0kgv8aok4

I wonder if this works at high winds also...?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:06 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 am
Flyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 am
I use (still) the weighted wing method.
However, unlike a tethered (& anchored) launch, it doesn't offer a solution for self-landing at the end of a session.
With all your years of experience i doubt that you are not capable of walking up safely/ steadily up the centerline(s) all the way to the kite when it's 30 knots
It was blowing 30 knots this afternoon when I finished my downwinder at Haakgat north of Cape Town on my wonderful 7m Pivot, and as usual with noone else on the beach (I stop half way down the beach at Holbaai), I did my usual release to safety leash. No messing around with trying to selfland, no anchors, and completely safe. Have never had a problem doing it as this is a wide open beach generally with noone around, only a few mussel shells and some kelp for company.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:06 pm
It was blowing 30 knots this afternoon .
I did my usual release to safety leash.
No messing around with trying to self land
Yes it's great and safe to do "our usual"
I have "messed around" a lot learning to walk up the lines safely/steadily all the way to the kite in that wind speed....very useful in tighter landing spot
Practicing that way starts by doing it all the time....first in half the wind...15 knots... with a bigger kite....then with 20...then 25... & then up...to get the confidence
Can't recall using QR to self land after a session
But QR does work...because before every self launch... i practice releasing it and re-assembling twice..to make myself fully aware of the motion that i may have to do in next minute
That's where i believe it's most crucial...at launch...a wingtip wrap..... a line break...a bridle break....a bridle wrap..and as result a kite going/spinning into the power zone

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 pm

I almost always self-launch. Big empty beach. Slide launch, pulling rear line until kite catches and rotates onto side for launch. Works great but does put some wear on kite from sliding on the sand ~10 feet or so each time.

Landing I pull safety on Airush (flag out front line) and the kite just sits on its back like a fifth line, works perfect everytime.

If you have limited room then drift launching is great but obviously gets your kite wet and doesn't work with a line camera.

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FarQueLot » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:20 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 pm
I almost always self-launch. Big empty beach. Slide launch, pulling rear line until kite catches and rotates onto side for launch. Works great but does put some wear on kite from sliding on the sand ~10 feet or so each time.

Landing I pull safety on Airush (flag out front line) and the kite just sits on its back like a fifth line, works perfect everytime.

If you have limited room then drift launching is great but obviously gets your kite wet and doesn't work with a line camera.
sounds to me you are standing 10 feet too far down wind and not angling the kite

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:04 am

Nice video, but the real world is often very different. Self launching and landing on a huge totally uncrowded beach in light to moderate wind is quite "easy". Things are different when you have to launch and land in a narrow place with obstacles and people (but no kiters) around…

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:51 pm

As you say, nice video & I'm sure that is fine for hydro-foiling (i.e. lighter winds), but for me 12m means 20-25knots and a kite held with a tiny sand bag would disappear off down wind

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:37 pm

My favorite self launch so far: https://youtu.be/46cqOOoNCLo?t=4

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Has thanked: 0

Postby bay surfer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Big sandy beach that would be nice, but for launching in not nice areas, drift launching much safer, as long as there is no big waves and water is not deep.
Best way to drift launch is to hook in, take your kite into the water, HERES the kicker for a safer drift launch put the kite behind you head on shoulders, then unroll your lines letting the lines drift out while walking back slowly, when lines unwound then let the kite go.

Return to “Kitesurfing”