Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to self launch a kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to self launch a kite

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm

cor wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:37 pm
My favorite self launch so far: https://youtu.be/46cqOOoNCLo?t=4
Absurd skills!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm
cor wrote:
Absurd skills!
+1. Agreed.

The guy gets a 10 (out of 10) for riding skills and an 11 for showmanship. :thumb:

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 am

Haha the last time i did a weighted launch was in 2005 or so. This is old and forgotten technique that is no longer needed. But this was the de-facto and the only way to self-launch the old days..

I ride in low wind location 8-13 knots and 90-95% of the time I self launch and self land.

I mainly do a reverse launch and feel it's the best way for self-launch for these conditions as it does not require assistance and can be used in winds as low as 6 knots. It also does not slide the kite on the ground.
(advanced riders only). It really helps to have a minimalistic kite bar with as little things on it to get tangled. depower strap above the bar is not safe in my view. nor is long leash.. My favorite bar for this is North Click bar. It is really clean and there is nothing to tangle during the kite flipping moment.

I self-land with pulling on both front lines while kite still in the air at about 10am and then continue pulling on the top front line. Kite lands beautifully positioned against the wind and also falls very softly.
The extreme version of this self-landing technique is documented here :-) this video always made me laugh..
It has examples of both: reverse launch and self landing as I described. (advanced riders only)
Also, for this method to be safe and work well, you need a LOW V bar.

Enjoy and one more time: these techniques are for ADVANCED RIDERS ONLY! And for low-medium wind ranges. (6-14 knots)

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 am

He is awesome rider! And indeed has absurd skills.

BUT.. Don't kid yourself.. :-) As you see the camera "cuts" both times when he launches the kite and as he jumps in the water. I don't think either one of these actually worked :-)
But he edited it in a way that it looks as it did.

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm
cor wrote:
Absurd skills!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:19 pm

fun2kite wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 am
Haha the last time i did a weighted launch was in 2005 or so. This is old and forgotten technique that is no longer needed.
I strongly disagree 8) last time i did a weighted launch was last Friday Dec 14th... launch #3500 just about...it's the only way i've ever done it
Works like a charm...launch on a dime...anywhere..any place
Forget about this technique if you want :wink: and yes i'm old :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 am

fun2kite wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 am
He is awesome rider! And indeed has absurd skills.

BUT.. Don't kid yourself.. :-) As you see the camera "cuts" both times when he launches the kite and as he jumps in the water. I don't think either one of these actually worked :-)
But he edited it in a way that it looks as it did.

he probably just cut out the boring bits for artistic reasons. when you throw the kite downwind it takes a while for it to travel the 20 meters or so until the lines tension, meanwhile we would be sitting there watching the video going one mississippi two mississippi, three mississippi. so just cut that for more action. Also the kite usually hits the ground once before it bounces up on a drop launch like this. no need to put that in the video. The second cut looks like again for aesthetic reasons, dude obviously can do a jump start on his foil, if you jump to a different point of view makes it look a little bit more exciting also if you start a trick, rewind back 1/2 a second or so and let it go forward again it increases the anticipation of the moment when you hit the water. I've seen stuff like that in Jackie Chan movies. When Jackie Chan hits someone here's what happens, he starts swinging his fist at the bad guy, then about 1 inch before the hit, the film rewinds back 1/2 a second and you see the fist again punching towards him but this time in slow mo, then the film speeds up again right when it hits. It's all about getting a nice looking viddy. For this guy making a great film is the hardest part, doing the tricks has got to be easy.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am

Agree with edt, it is simply to make a non-boring edit and leave out less exciting and time consuming phases.

As he can do these things indeed, maybe one of, or even, the best in the world :thumb:

8) Peter

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:36 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:19 pm
fun2kite wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 am
Haha the last time i did a weighted launch was in 2005 or so. This is old and forgotten technique that is no longer needed.
I strongly disagree 8) last time i did a weighted launch was last Friday Dec 14th... launch #3500 just about...it's the only way i've ever done it
Works like a charm...launch on a dime...anywhere..any place
Forget about this technique if you want :wink: and yes i'm old :lol:
Pullstrings can you describe or post a picture of your sand bag - I'm interested to try it! Thanks

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 pm

sarc wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:36 pm
Pullstrings can you describe or post a picture of your sand bag - I'm interested to try it! Thanks
Sure ...looks like those... poly sandbag...about 14 x 24 in

Question..do you have vast experience launching ram airs at edge of wind window in medium to high winds ?......because that's how i learned it and applied it to LEIs

With LEI don't fold wingtip where sandbag is set 1/3-2/3 ratio weight about 2 feet from tip on LE....(kite is on it's back just like a ram air)
Weigh down w/loose sand or other lighter bag the trailing edge half way downwind of it's center to keep TE parallel to wind direction & prevent kite windmill spin out effect
Launch by walking upwind away from kite at exactly 45 degrees angle to TE....going 15 degrees less at 30 or more at 60 will not launch the kite properly

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:20 am

Thanks Pullstrings.
Yes Peter Lynn ARC (the original one!), even got it modded by a pro in Australia who added TE tuck and side inflation zippers. So I launched sideways like a PL Venom (which I later owned). Yes I'm that old.
Anyways your launch method is intense as you have a bag on LE and another lighter one on TE, I will give it a try starting as 12kn wind!

Cheers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”