Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: 2017 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Black marks on my hand off Cabrinha 2017 control bar back lines

Postby efg » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm

HI,

I've just bought a new Cabrinha Kite with a new 2017 Cabrinha OD Adj Recoil control bar.
I didn't have the opportunity to use it yet, however I opened it to check that everything is ok. When dealing with the back lines (the black ones) I noticed that black marks where left on my hands. I washed my hands and tested it again to confirm that this is the case. I'm wondering if this might have some safety implications. As a climber you don't want anything like this on your ropes.

I admit that it has been a long time since I bought my last kite, but I couldn't find anything online.

I'm trying to contact Cabrinha. It seems that the support form in their website is the only way to contact them. I haven't received any answer from them.

I would expect more from Cabrinha, especially with something that can have safety implications. Very disappointed with them right now.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue and knows what to do, your comments will be much appreciated.
If someone knows how to contact Cabrinha, that will be great too.

Attached a picture of my hands after dealing with the lines.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20181202_153908.jpg

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Black marks on my hand off Cabrinha 2017 control bar back lines

Postby norcom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Had the exact same thing happen on brand new lines from a few 2015 Best bars. It's some sort of coating and it washes/wears off after a few sessions.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:28 pm

The UHMWPE (plastic) that the kite lines are made of is notoriously difficult to dye. As in nearly impossible. May just have been a bad post dye wash, or a bad batch of dye. Unless you see the fibers fraying I would not worry at all.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:21 am

efg
Rare Poster

Postby efg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 am

Clew, Sun, noncom, thanks for your answers. This is very helpful

noncom, I saw that post but I think even though the symptoms are similar, the cause is different.

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:42 am

I noticed odd black marks on my hand on my first use of a new 2019 Cabrinha bar. I assume it came off the lines during setup. It think I only noticed this the first time I used it. And when my girlfriend used her 2018 Cabrinha bar the first time she had black marks as well. I am guessing this is just some kind of residue that washes off?

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:33 pm

I’ve flown Cabrinha for years and every new bar with black lines has done this. It is definitely just the dye, nothing to worry about. You will get this get a while too. Cabrinha lines are great, they don’t tangle easily and they last well.

KT

efg
Rare Poster

Postby efg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Great, it is good to know that it didn't only happen to me.
Can't wait to try my new Kite on the water.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 pm

efg wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm
HI,

I've just bought a new Cabrinha Kite with a new 2017 Cabrinha OD Adj Recoil control bar.
I didn't have the opportunity to use it yet, however I opened it to check that everything is ok. When dealing with the back lines (the black ones) I noticed that black marks where left on my hands. I washed my hands and tested it again to confirm that this is the case. I'm wondering if this might have some safety implications. As a climber you don't want anything like this on your ropes.

I admit that it has been a long time since I bought my last kite, but I couldn't find anything online.

I'm trying to contact Cabrinha. It seems that the support form in their website is the only way to contact them. I haven't received any answer from them.

I would expect more from Cabrinha, especially with something that can have safety implications. Very disappointed with them right now.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue and knows what to do, your comments will be much appreciated.
If someone knows how to contact Cabrinha, that will be great too.

Attached a picture of my hands after dealing with the lines.

Thanks!
The dealer you bought the kite from would probably be able to answer your question for you. I've seen it on numerous bars throughout the years. I've gotten it from the contact with the PU tubing covering the center lines above the chickenloop more than I have off the back lines, so watch for that, too. It's just temporary and will go away on its own. You'll just look like you've been working on your car for a little bit. ;)

Good luck and have fun with your new toy!

SENDIT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”