Brand Affiliation: None

Fatality in France

Postby winduser » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 am

Sad news. A kiter 24 years old died in Kerhilio France

http://forum.flysurf.com/bar/accident-k ... 77756.html

My condolences to his family and friends

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fatality in France

Postby matth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:13 am

So sorry...RIP

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:52 am

Sounds horrible. My condolences. RIP

Here an online translation:

I wanted to hear from the guy I saw before my eyes fly 200-300m in the dunes of Kerhilio this afternoon and finish on the parking lot behind the dune. I had for the first time in my life a horror vision when this young was literally pulled off the takeoff, I do not know why. At that moment there must have been not far from 40 knots, he took off in front of the dune, he went to the horizontal at a speed crazy to 2m from me. I pass the details that followed ...
Congratulations and thank you to the 5-6 people who helped him, the UAS arrived 20-25mn later, and the helicopter a little later, but obviously his condition was very disturbing.
I remain traumatized by this accident, I would have liked to know if he would get away with it.

I add that barely 3 minutes before, another youngster did the same thing, he had the chance to be flattened on the ground after a flight of about thirty meters. I talked to him after, he was not sailing with his usual helm and I think that the line lengths were not adapted to his wing, he felt rear too short, it was too late, no time to drop.

Again, caution to all ...

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am

See my launch unhooked thread in the safety topic.

I realize that much of the hate and nastiness to my posts is because people have not watched the videos and think launch unhooked = both hands on the bar (maybe with death grip if something goes wrong). That's not what I mean - again, watch the videos then ignore them if you want.
Launch unhooked means both hands on the Chicken Loop and do not touch the bar (OK you can hold it with 2 fingers to stop it from snagging/rotating). If you get lofted, get a death loop etc. the CL gets ripped out of your hands and kite falls to safety leash.

It pains me that since I made that post, 4 or 5 people would literally be alive if they had watched the videos.

I forgot how to paste the link but you can search youtube for "Quand se hooker avant le décollage ? - One Launch Kiteboarding"

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 am

sarc wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am
See my launch unhooked thread in the safety topic.

I realize that much of the hate and nastiness to my posts is because people have not watched the videos and think launch unhooked = both hands on the bar (maybe with death grip if something goes wrong). That's not what I mean - again, watch the videos then ignore them if you want.
Launch unhooked means both hands on the Chicken Loop and do not touch the bar (OK you can hold it with 2 fingers to stop it from snagging/rotating). If you get lofted, get a death loop etc. the CL gets ripped out of your hands and kite falls to safety leash.

It pains me that since I made that post, 4 or 5 people would literally be alive if they had watched the videos.

I forgot how to paste the link but you can search youtube for "Quand se hooker avant le décollage ? - One Launch Kiteboarding"
How can you say these deaths could have been prevented with YOUR way of working. Your method would not work in 40knts and hooked launch is way more controlled, ofcourse there is always a chance for things to go wrong but to simply blaim it on their launching technique is rude!

My respects to the family...sounds aweful.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 am

Kitemenn wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 am

How can you say these deaths could have been prevented with YOUR way of working. Your method would not work in 40knts and hooked launch is way more controlled, ofcourse there is always a chance for things to go wrong but to simply blaim it on their launching technique is rude!
(...)
Because this is inherently safe, so yes, if trouble appeared just when launching, as seems to be pointed by the comments on the French forum, then not being hooked-in IS a life saving technique. The kite should be reasonably stable on the edge of the window when only held by the chicken loop. This gives an escape route in case the bar is badly trimmed, oversheeted, or plain wind strength misjudgement. Past those first 10 seconds, then the rider can make a go/no go decision.

Also the person assisting in a launch has a responsibility to hold onto the kite until clearly notified to let go, and should check the lines aren't wrapped, that the kite seems fine when lines are pre-tensioned, ... even more so in tough conditions. With a duty to not launch if anything is not right. Talking to the assistant beforehand is also good practice. "Wind is strong, haven't used that small kite in a while, and maybe not on that bar, so before you let go of my kite, make sure you wait for my signal so that I can check if the lines are OK, if trim is alright, etc... Thanks mate!"
Because it's hard to find a trusted assistant, it's sometimes preferable to self launch, potentially with an anchor.

Anyway, don't know the details of this tragic accident, be careful out there!

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 am

With launching you always need to check/wait before all is clear! If your doing self launch you might check everything again as there is even less room for error.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Unfortunately people launch without a hand on the quick release...one of the first things which need to be taught...who of you is doing this? Barely anyone.
I do, and it saved me few times.

People who don't do it...be prepared to die.

Cannot repeat it enough, but people do what they do...and are responsible for their doing.

So listen to instructors, friends, helpers, people on the forum. All these want to help.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Very sad news, same here in Holland yesterday, a 54 year old guy dies during kiteboarding at the north sea ocean.
Last edited by Leon van Bergen on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Very sad news, same here in Holland yesterday, a 54 year old guys dies during kiteboarding at the north sea ocean.
Another sad story...my condolences.

What happened Leon?

Return to “Kitesurfing”