Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pleasure Bay
Gear: I don't know!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help! Need to get my boyfriend a Christmas gift

Postby zoob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Whats the best gift to get as a kiteboarder?! He already has a bunch of kites, and I bought him a foil for Xmas last year. Could use a new board- but don't know which brand to go with!
I want to get him something that he'll be super excited about getting. I'd like to keep it under $600 if possible but will go over if its something he'll really love. Recommendations?!

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: HELP! Need to get my boyfriend a Christmas gift

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 pm

That's awesome that you're even thinking about doing something like that for him! I just had a mom buy her son a gift certificate for a kiteboarding lesson and a wife bought her husband a trainer kite today. If you don't know the specifics of what he might want (boy, can we kiters be awfully picky about what we get, myself included :wink: ), then you might consider getting him a gift card to whatever his favorite kiteshop might be. That's what some in my family do for me. That way I get whatever toys I want and I show them pics of me using whatever it was that I used their gift cards to get. Good luck to you and to be honest...seems like he might already have the best "gift" he's going to get. 8)

SENDIT!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 pm

The best gift and biggest surprise? If you want to marry him and you think he does you then buy him an engagement ring and propose to him on Christmas Day.

Otherwise if his winter wetsuit is getting tatty and you know for sure he really likes it buy him an exact same replacement.

Or both.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Help! Need to get my boyfriend a Christmas gift

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 pm

A kiting holiday in a warm and windy place 😉

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 pm

zoob wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Whats the best gift to get as a kiteboarder?!
Me!
I'll take him somewhere nice and let him use my kites.

Unfortunately 600 bucks isn't going to get all of us very far, so we'll need more dosh and you might have to stay at home, don't worry we'll send you a post card, well maybe even a facetime message..

Just PM me and I'll tell you where to send the money. ;-)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Normally you want to keep kite gifts a bit on the less expensive side because every kiteboard and every kite is different. You have to demo a kite or board for several hours before you are sure you want to make the purchase, and it's even more particular with a kite harness those, you need to make sure fit exactly and people spend weeks trying on harnesses to find one that suits them.

That said, there's a bunch of stuff kiters love that don't require you spend hours demo-ing.

1) woo a bit under $200. it measures your height
2) gopro. take videos of yourself runs around $400 for the 7 black I think
3) new pump. Always nice to have a new kite pump, if he doesn't have one already maybe get him a WMFG pump around $70. It's the rolls royce of dual action hand pumps
4) 2mm Hyperflex Playa Neoprene Hoodie Jacket, a bit under $200. This is a fantastic accessory. it keeps you warm between sessions and you can also ride it during a session, and what is more a lot of kiters don't have one. Very versatile. You can also just wear it as a regular jacket.
5) Neoprene cap. I used to use a hoodie in cold weather switched to a neoprene cap it's really nice and works fantastic to keep you a bit warmer, and you can just wear it like a regular hat.

The above list is something that will work for him and you don't need to worry about it fitting his style. Everyone likes woos, gopros, pumps and neoprene jackets and it checks the "thought is what counts" because you're thinking of him.

Just don't get him anything he might be riding, harness, board, kite, boots, bindings, that stuff it's like buying someone a new pair of shoes, they have to fit him exactly so there's a 99% chance if you buy a kite or a board he will smile and say thanks but never use it.

You might wonder how I figured out this list so quickly the answer is we get this question every year, so it's the same list as last year.

If you have a bigger budget you can also look at a solo shot but that's getting up near $1,000. Those are super nice for taking a video of your session because the lens follows you around.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:31 pm

If he likes to jump and doesn't already have a Woo, I'd second edt's suggestion #1 (above). It's a fun gadget that he may not ever buy for himself, and it'll be entertaining and challenging for him. Cool that you're taking time to research what he'd really enjoy. :thumb:

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 pm

subscription to a years worth of kite mags - I get this most years.

zoob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pleasure Bay
Gear: I don't know!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby zoob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:51 pm

You guys are the best! Thanks so much for your help. :heartface:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:54 pm

If he likes to foil and is good at it he might be interested in:
- a smaller/compact foil boards like 3'6" Dwarfcraft
- a new wing for existing setup (e.g. larger - for more lowend)
- foothooks instead of straps

Neoprene windbreaker jacket (or coat) is great if he gets to ride in cold weather (and it helps to stay warm on the beach between sessions)
A gopro with mouth mount is an awesome toy and produces those best angles/shots

What foil/boards he already rides? how heavy is he?
zoob wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:51 pm
You guys are the best! Thanks so much for your help. :heartface:
you girls are the best too :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”