Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: alcohol and kitesurfing

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 pm
NoP problems - tautologies - you are welcome to comment obviously! Thanks! :-)
As I say "conspiracy" bit was a bit of a wind up :-) In other words - a joke (as a foreigner - not sure - wind-up may be Scottish slang only?) :-) Not to offend anyone :-)

And you obviously right the brain cells to regenerate to some extent.
But I would not want to kill off my original brain cells first and hope they will regenerate. I suspect one forgets what one knew this way...
Ok got it, it just didn't seem like a windup. I am not offended, it takes a bit more :-)
Just to clarify, this is really just a post trying to convince people to stop drinking altogether? You might be in the wrong forum for that haha.
Do you drink at all? Why or why not?

Your braincells already die by the billions. I am not arguing that drinking is good for you at all, most evidence point against even a glass of wine, but lets not try to exaggerate here. Also, this post still has nothing to do with KB. :thumb:

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:02 pm

tautologies wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 pm
Also, this post still has nothing to do with KB. :thumb:
sure, about the same relevance as "Most sexy kiteboarding pictures" :D

"alcohol and kitesurfing" was another wind-up :D It's almost Christmas and I was in a good mood. :D

This post was a result of an office Christmas party last night and a discussion with pals from the office morning after that. :lol: I set out to find out how it works (heard about the articles before) and thought results were quit good and at least worth a post somewhere - why not here? It might help someone :-)
Last edited by sergei Scotland on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:04 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:51 pm
Researches say this is just the same as "feel good" one gets going up on a hot air balloon to the height of about 6 000 m - you feel good go a bit higher then you are out then you are dead (as it was happening a lot in the beginning of ballooning era).
Perhaps this is how the expression "getting high" got started...

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Just another quote from Moskow et al article above:
researchers can actually see blocked (by agglutination of blood cells ) capillaries and microscopic hemorrhages directly in the eye caused by alcohol (!!!!!).
This paper presents data on 30 intoxicated human subjects, correlating concentrations
of ethyl alcohol in drawn blood samples with microscopically observed degrees
of in vivo intravascular agglutination of blood cells (sludged blood), degrees of reduction
of flow rates through small vessels, stasis (one form of pathologic plugging of
vessels (Krogh 1929)) and microscopic hemorrhages. Comparison with previously
established knowledge indicates that alcohol sludge forcibly reduces the rates of supply
of oxygen molecules to nerve cells, to cells of the central zones of the liver lobule,
and to certain anatomically defined small volumes of cardiac muscle.
In healthy normal human beings blood cells are not agglutinated (reviewed by
Knisely, 1965a).
Last edited by sergei Scotland on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:04 pm
sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:51 pm
Researches say this is just the same as "feel good" one gets going up on a hot air balloon to the height of about 6 000 m - you feel good go a bit higher then you are out then you are dead (as it was happening a lot in the beginning of ballooning era).
Perhaps this is how the expression "getting high" got started...
yeah basically researchers say suffocating of brain cells gives the feeling - i.e. is direct cause of "high". Probably on the par with repeated "manual strangulation" for a minute or two :-)
Strangulation cycle repeated for a few hours - horror movie style. :roll:
Last edited by sergei Scotland on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Probably on the par with "manual strangulation" for a minute or two :-)
:lol: :lol: :thumb:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Re: alcohol and kitesurfing :-)

Postby deniska » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Hold your horses with anti booze propaganda

http://time.com/4899823/moderate-drinke ... -benefits/
Now, a new study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology offers some of the best news yet for people who enjoy a daily drink: Light-to-moderate alcohol use is associated with a reduced risk of death compared with no alcohol consumption at all.
Obviously, kiting and drinking don't mix.. but there is nothing like a cold one after a good session :D

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:46 pm

I always say "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"... :D

Sing along to the tune of "That's Amore " - When the booze hits your liver wth an alcohol shiver, that's cirrhosis. ....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm

I dont understand the purpose of this thread at all, as I dont see any connection with these two different topics "alcohol and kitesurfing"???

Btw, IF any, the very best way to "recover" after being totally wasted all night at a great party - is to go surfing the next morning/day, it really works wonders in every way and is good for you :thumb:

This way you can have a better party, and a better surf session the next day (or/and before), as a lovely contrast actually that enhances the joy of both - a win win :naughty:

8) Peter

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm
Btw, IF any, the very best way to "recover" after being totally wasted all night at a great party - is to go surfing the next morning/day, it really works wonders in every way and is good for you :thumb:
Sure Peter, absolutely. A good exercise after oxygen deprivation gives more oxygen to one's brain and helps brain cells which are not quid dead to recover. Would not help cells which are already dead though. Unfortunately it is very hard to figure out what one forgot when one lost some of brain cells, because one does not remember what it was one had stored there :-)

Sometimes it becomes obvious though: for example a recent study seem to link death of small number of brain cells responsible for automatic movements (such as walking or lifting your arm and holding it steady) to Parkinsons. Researchers say Parkinsons may happen when cells which fire automatically when you walk and keep you balanced etc died. So now one have to think about how to move his feet - and this is impossible so one ends up all over the place... (there was an article in New Scientist a couple of weeks ago about this research paper).
It rings true to me - it takes a baby about what - 4-6 month to learn to held an arm up steady and be able to grab things. It is probably impossible to relearn when someone is 50 or 60 as one is obviously not as fast a learner at this age as a baby is.

So I recon if cells responsible for my kiteboarding automatic skills die (like kite flying or balance) - I would be kiteboaring Parkinson demo probably :-)
I already look like one anyway :-( :lol:
Or have to learn again what I knew how to do almost from scratch again... They say it gets harder though :) LOL

Now a small group of neurons might actually be supplied by a single capillary. I this gets blocked by a clump of red blood cells the whole group will probably die in 10 mins. Here you go. Kitesurfing Parkinsons. Scary.

The clamps do start gradually though - at low levels of blood alcohol researchers where finding smaller clamps of smaller number of red cells stuck together and fewer of them too. But at higher levels - like moderately drunk level - they already big enough and there are many more - obviously you are drunk because your brain is oxygen deprived -- so obviously you have your blood cells stuck together badly.
The point is - if you feel drunk it simply means your brain cells are oxygen deprived to the point equivalent 5000-6000 m above sea level.
Basically you are not breathing properly. :-)
Last edited by sergei Scotland on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”