Auckland Accident

Forum for kitesurfers
blizzard
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blizzard » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:59 pm

I had a leash accident. The 1st time I clipped my leash to my waist as opposed to my ankle. I went to try a jump in power up conditions (only been kitesurfing 4-5 months) but went wrong from the start. Was yanked hozizontally in the air whilst at the same time the board submerged. The leash stretch like hell and eventually the board (6'9 Onboard 1999) came flying out the water and wacked me on the shin. I thought I'd just badly bruise it as it was cold and numb and I had a 5 mm wet on. 15 minutes later I went ashore and notice blood covering my foot.

I ended up with 16 stitches. The board slit my leg creating a hidious wound from impact not slicing. And then it went septic to make matters worse.

At the time I put it down to the leash being on the waist and still wear a leash today probably foolishly. Attitudes have clearly changed since then.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:22 pm

the danger is still around using the leash.

Whenever you can, get rid of the leash, or one day it will hit your head and knock you out, being hooked to a kite...

Take care!

Toby

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:37 pm

Being unconcious and hooked to a kite is a very dangerous situation.
Get rid of your leashes!!! Getting hit in the head by the board is one of worries, but can you imagine what would have happened if the board had hit you in the back, or neck - gives me shivvers just thinkig about it.

Why do you people have leashes anyway? Even as a beginner, I learned how to body drag upwind - long before I could jump at all - basically at the same time as I learned how to surf upwind. What are you scared of loosing your boards? Be more afraid for your walking ability, or thinking ability. Wait - this calls for a new thread...

blizzard
Medium Poster

Postby blizzard » Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:14 am

I've never tried going without a leash but it's a feeling of security ironically. Where I kitesurf there are fairly large tides and its exposed. Also in summer risk of winds dropping and not enough power to go up wind bodydragging.

Although I haven't really tried much body dragging

Also I would have thought if one does a large jump but looses their board on take off or mid air you could going end up a long way down wind of your board. On occasions it must take a long time to retrieve ones board and if perhaps there are rocks or something similar it may be problem that its taking a long time to retrieve your board. Next think you know you cannot sail out of trouble.

Anyway I am now seriously considering doing away with it. I will certainly try without it.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:46 am

Guys,

I feel safer WITHOUT A LEASH. I rode my slingshot Jarvis for a month with a leash...a kiteboard leash that has no spring, not a surfboard leash. 2 Times I was hit in the head. The second time I was hit was when I jumped over some whitewater and the board hurtled over the white water behind me and hit me behind my left ear. It hurt so bad and was so numb I thought I had seriously cut my ear...I was like oh man...stiches in my ear cannot be good.
Anyway, There was a small cut behind my ear. I ditched the leash after that. Since then I havent been hit in the head. And on screwed up jumps I can freely take my board and toss is aside when I brace for impact. No probs. Leashes are for surfers and body boarders. You dont see a guy behind a boat wakeboarding with a leash on....???? If we go half as fast as a wakeboarder behind a boat...why on earth would we wear a leash? If you wear a leash with a kiteboard, beware it will catch up with you sometime....probably to your head.

Get rid of the leashes...dont be lazy...body drag back to your board...

If you loose a board...cry about it and buy a new one...it not the end of the world.

JD
Slingshot Rider
TIKA
http://www.justindavis.netfirms.com

ps. Head injurys suck. They lead to : death, dementia, migranes, lost memory, & nothing good for kiting. If you dont ride with a leash, wear a helmet anyway...

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:32 am

I agree... I never use a board leash now... bodydraggins not that hard...

BLOWN AWAY

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:58 pm

In the case of wearing a leash or not you should also think of the safe of others!!!
Floating board alone in the water is a potencial hazard for other kiters, surfers, windsurfers etc. Everybody needs some time to come back to the board. On the spot I have been there is a lot of windsurfers, so kiters should also consider that in account.

Phtog
Rare Poster

Postby Phtog » Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:42 am

IF THE INSTRUCTORS would teach them to body drag up wind before they let them go out on the board we wouldnt have to worry about leashes.
Most of the time we dont go more than 30-40 yards from our board at the most! In MOST places the buffer zone is atleast 100 yards

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phtog on 2002-12-22 03:44 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:58 am

Some more radical places may be a problem if you get seperated from your board for too long but most kiting spots are normal beaches where it's not too dodgy if you lose your board..

BLOWN AWAY

Arcprof
Rare Poster

Postby Arcprof » Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:44 pm

I use board leashes and a helmet. I think a reasonable compromise is to fit a weak link to your leash which will break whenever the leash loads up. I use a thin bit of bungy cord. Whenever I have a major spill the leash breaks and I get to practice my body dragging skills but I still have the advantage a leash gives me in keeping the board within easy reach. I have linked 3 bungy loops together so if I break one I can quickly retie the leash to another.

Jim

Return to “Kitesurfing”