Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ram air persecution complex

forum for kitesurfers

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Ram air persecution complex

Postby Pump me up » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:57 pm

Why do ram lovers insist on making ridiculous, over-the-top claims to support their choice of substandard equipment? Here's a selection:

1- Thread: "The Future is bright, the future is foils."

--- Showing a photo of some ram lover doing a lame jump in 12-15 knots of wind, and claiming it was done in 8 knots, "showing the incredible low end of ram airs." Large 2003 inflatables have much better performance than rams at the low end because of a superior Lift/Drag ratio.

2 - Naish makes a ram air, showing the "superiority" of rams.

The ram made by Naish is not an acknowledgement of the "superiority" of rams, it is simply a large trainer kite. Trainer kites do not need the optimum aerodynamic handling of an inflatable. As for snow and land-based kiting... there is no argument that rams are better on snow and land... they are easier to relaunch in these situations, are not puncture prone in prickly land/snow environments, and don't have the stiff-valve problems suffered by inflatables in sub-zero conditions. On the water, inflatables are vastly superior in terms of handling and safety.

3 - Competition results

"Aaron Jarmon wins minor Australian comp, showing the "superiority" of ram airs." Ram lovers holding up these 3rd or 4th tier comps as evidence of the superiority of rams IS a bit sad. If rams can't cut it in the big comps (PKRA, KPWT, National Titles) it is a bit pathetic to hold up minor backyard comps. The Australian Titles are currently underway, there will be no rams in the top 10.

PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES
It doesn't take a psychologist to work out where ram lovers are coming from in making these ridiculous over-the-top hyperbolic claims. Exaggerated over-defensiveness is symptomatic of a chip-on-the-shoulder inferiority complex - maybe these ram lovers really DO believe, deep down, that their kites aren't as good as inflatables on the water.

R
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby R » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:08 pm

Hello Pumper,
You need a hobby mate!
BORING!
R
P.S Aren't these backyard comps a better indication of which kite is working better as it takes sponsorship, marketing, availability out of the equation? Doesn't it show for that area, out of that pool of flyers, who is getting the best results? Just a thought, yet I'm also very interested in world rankings, PKRA results etc. I also don't wreckon the Niash League comp should be classed as third teir. They had heaps of kiters at their comps (sponsored riders on LEI etc) yet Aaron Jarmen still won it.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:17 pm

Dude, the subject line was a good one. Now, please do explain how you developed this pathological ram air persecution complex. :P

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:52 pm

Pump Me Up have you ever FLOWN a foil?

And what's your opinion of hybrid kites?

What about foils like the STAMOS and MOSQUITO. They actually have inflatable bladders that you can insert inside the kite...... TO MAKE IT MORE AERODYNAMIC OBVIOUSLY :wink:

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:24 am

G'day Steve/Pump me up,

How is the judging coming along?

You still making bets on the outcome of comps you are judging? That sounds like a great money making scheme! And it can help you sell more kites at your shops! You are one smart businessman.

Cheers to ya mate!

Kitedemon
Medium Poster

Postby Kitedemon » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:29 am

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6838

SEE MY POST

Shit Sturin mo fo'z

MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN,,,,,,,,,,,,, Feck off ye Splutterin Gobsheens..

WHO CARES

No Offence to "THE" Fo

Ted B.
Medium Poster

Postby Ted B. » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:18 pm

Pump me up why do you keep putting down the new accomplishments of foil kites.The 2003 foil is a different kite and there will be alot of good competition results this season done on new foils.The newest riders to win comps aren't super popular but they just got ahold of the new higher performing foils of 2003 and went out and kicked ass....You keep comparing the new 2003 Leis to the older Foils,try to compare 2003 to 2003.Open your mind once and a while and shut your mouth. Ted B.

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Postby anthonyd » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:18 am

Anonymous wrote:G'day Steve/Pump me up,

How is the judging coming along?

You still making bets on the outcome of comps you are judging? That sounds like a great money making scheme! And it can help you sell more kites at your shops! You are one smart businessman.

Cheers to ya mate!
Hmmmm interesting speculation..... but I think you might be wrong.

Steve has had his share of ARC bashing on the old yahoo groups but I dont think he is PumpMeUp.

He sells quiet a few foils in his shop. Last time I was there I saw him pushing the Ozone foils. And I believe he also sells felxifoil and flysurf. Wouldn't make sense for him to bash foils like that.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:36 pm

Not really. do you have any idea how many arc's were sold because of Steve McC's mouth? He gave them much more exposure than any amount of advertising dollars could have done. For each one of his lame excuses, someone credible rebutted and proved him to be ignorant. This would have been a good move on Steve's part except that he pissed the Pl folks off and lost his ticket! so in my opinion the pump m u guy, is a dealer who sells foils--and he is building his business I'm sure. But it's also quite obvious that he is not a competent kite flyer, if in fact he has ever flown a kite. He has been asked many times what his personal kite toys are. No answer :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:45 pm

The Australian National Titles have just concluded. NO ram airs made it into the top 10!

Ram lovers can put aside their claims of aerodynamic efficiency or equality.

After a highly competitive selection process, based on trials in all Australian states, roughly 70 males and 10 females were chosen to compete in the Australian National Titles. Ram airs turned up to these selection trials (including the much vaunted Psycho) but none were good enough to make the cut.

Ram lovers holding up 3rd or 4th tier competitions (like the Marianas open, Aus Kitesurfing League, Granny Smith Invitational Championships etc) have been exposed! The big comps (eg National titles, PKRA, KPWT - ie those with deep and quality fields) will always be won by inflatable riders because inflatables are better at:
- Jumping/hangtime
- Upwind performance
- Control (crisper handling)
- Turning
- Reliability

Unfortunately no ram lovers took me up on my bet (that no rams would crack the top 5/10). Bring on the rest of 2003 ram boys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”