downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil plans?

Postby downunder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 am

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:18 pm
from what I understand, unless your REALLY REALLY GOOD. Hand shaped foils just won't work, they'll be uneaven and make it very difficult to ride. Think about it this way, Boards are big, so i takes a big imperfection to affect the ride. Foils are so small that even virtually imperceptibly imperfections will kill the ride...Are you a machinist? If so then ignore everything I wrote...

Plus, unless you get lucky and find something useful like a broken carbon mast, that materials will be very expensive. G10 ain't cheap
Not really. The carbon mast can be made in one afternoon with a hand tools, providing you are using wood as core, and a good eye ;)

Have a look how fast I can wrap it in carbon. Carbon for one mast is about $50, not more:

Front Wing? Can be made even faster with a mold of one WS fin, molded for two pieces which can than form a wing. That will give you flat and perfect anhedral surface. Cost? $30

Same for the back wing. $20

Fuselage? Carbon tube reinforced with more carbon for tension and torsional strength. $25

All together $125, plus epoxy and accessories.

Return to “Gear Builders”