2013 slingshot Z (9m)
2012 slingshot Fuel (6m)
Slingshot b3
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Plywood Board

Postby henjj » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Wanted to say thanks for all the helpful posts about building a plywood board. Since I started kiteboarding, I have just used my wakeboard (slingshot reflex) or (to ride strapless) the wake surf board we have here at the camp I work at (Slingshot arcane). When using the wakeboard I have to be lit up on the kite in order to stay planed and upwind. So I decided to try and make a lightwind board so that I could attempt to get out in 10-15 mph winds and cruise. I didn't want to spend any money on it so I decided to just use scrap material from around the camp I work at. I cut it out of a sheet of 1/2" plywood. I slapped on a few coats of some old leftover paint and drilled some holes for a pair of old bungee wakeboard bindings we had laying around. I used a flat bit to sink some bigger washers into the bottom of the board and then filled over them with some aquaseal and thats about it. Below are a couple of pictures of my board. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical. So the first time I took it out, I was surprised at how well it worked. I have been taking it out with my 11 meter REV and have been able to stay upwind, cruise around and do some small jumps when the wind is blowing 10-15mph. One of these days I hope to test ride a light wind board from a manufacturer to compare the differences between a home made board and commercial board.
0912120814.jpg
0912120814.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
0912120814a.jpg
0912120814a.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 2273 times

kinchencool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bucerias, nuevo vallarta,
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, La Ventana, Progreso, Maui, SandBar
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0