Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Abrasion resistant base material solutions.

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Abrasion resistant base material solutions.

Postby mattthieu » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm

teflon ??

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:35 am

Polyurea!

DirkGently
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DirkGently » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:31 am

mattthieu wrote:nop

not same material as snow board :
snow boards scratches easy, and, the material is porous, so that the wax can stick on it ( and that's why you need to wax it, because it's porous ( by the way, if someone can explain me why they dont do slik surfaces with no need to wax on snowboards, he's welcome )).

cut boards ( and the plates on glows ) dont scratch easy ( you cut on it and it does not event show wear ) and there are made of non porous material ( because they are food grade, they can't be porous ).

maybe a thin slice of such a board could be laminated as bottom sheet of a board ??
You're wrong, the material used on most snowboard bases is UHMW PE. (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene).

"Our base material is made of UHMWPE. That monstrous acronym stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, and basically means each little plastic molecule in this stuff is stronger and hard wearing than most other plastics on the planet. UHMWPE is standard base material in the snowboard industry, and the only big difference is whether it’s sintered or extruded. Extrusion is the cheap way to go and was probably used on your little sister’s My Little Pony snowboard that she won at the mall. Bean Snowboards only uses sintered base material, and the sintering process (melting lots of microscopic plastic pellets together to make one big piece) makes little pores in the plastic that hold wax to keep you riding fast for a long time between waxes."

A cutting board is made from HDPE (high density polyethylene) or HMWPE (high molecular weight polyethylene).

Both are not great for base materials in my opinion because they are difficult to bond and impossible to repair well.

mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé

Postby mattthieu » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 pm

i get it, so, same material, but different processes ( one porous and the other one not ? )..

as for repairing, easy ( as any ski shop can repair the base of any ski ! )

as for bonding, they should be a way cause, skis and snowboard are lot more flaxible then kiteboards and the base sheet never detaches !! no ?

just saying, my only experience is patching a board with epoxy !!

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 pm

The high abrasion material I spec'd out a while ago was PPG "Duracoat" a quick web search doesn't show it being commercially available.

There are some hard pick up truck bedliners that would be low friction. Most of these are polyurea based as aeberl mentioned, I would go this route.....provided you can get a smooth finish.

Another worthy test would be to mix a powdered ceramic into the epoxy. Aluminium oxide comes to mind as being tough as nails (if not tougher), relativley low priced and should be readily available. Not sure of it's availability in powdered form. The other problem is once you apply it can you sand it to get it smooth? ....... Sand paper grit is aluminum oxide.

I'm currently using an epoxy based paint with a teflon additive. Interlux VC performance epoxy. Takes a beating better than any paint I've used previously, but wouldn't stand up to a drag across the road.

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 am

I found some aluminum oxide polishing compound at a lapidary place and did some extremely unscientific tests mixing it with epoxy. Jurys out on that as it wasn't very scientific, but you learn something every time right ?

Return to “Gear Builders”