Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A nuke-proof repair method for stripped FCS screw threads?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: A nuke-proof repair method for stripped FCS screw threads?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 am

alexeyga wrote: "fill the hole with epoxy and re-thread"-method came out so-so... It will hold for the next couple of fin install/removals, but I surely can do better.
What sort of epoxy did you use? Any quick set will probably be too brittle, also mixing in some finely chopped fiberglass fibers would help.

If not...the best performing solution is FCS2 boxes...I wish all my boards had fcs 2 boxes now.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: A nuke-proof repair method for stripped FCS screw threads?

Postby alexeyga » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:26 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 am
alexeyga wrote: "fill the hole with epoxy and re-thread"-method came out so-so... It will hold for the next couple of fin install/removals, but I surely can do better.
What sort of epoxy did you use? Any quick set will probably be too brittle, also mixing in some finely chopped fiberglass fibers would help.

If not...the best performing solution is FCS2 boxes...I wish all my boards had fcs 2 boxes now.

Hmmmm, that thread dates a gooood while back.

Back then - if I remember correctly - I tried it with a regular 2-parts epoxy glue with carbon or glass fibers mixed in, which was waaay to brittle, nor it sticks well with plastics.

At the end my solution was to install SS threaded inserts and replace setscrews with smaller ones (with a finer thread). Worked like a charm. This board is still in use every season with absolutely nothing to report.

At some point I even though about making a batch of repair kits for sale, but at the time I wasn't able to come up with a reasonably-priced installation medium for the inserts. Besides the fact that it requires an unreal level of manual dexterity. Basically you get only one shot at getting the insert in, if you go too far even by a fraction of 1/16" - your fin box is pretty much - shot.

Ahh, actually there was a downside to this method, on one occasion I was transporting the board on the roof rack with fins removed and due to wind all setscrews felt out. Luckily they all felt into the fin boxes and I haven't lost any.

Return to “Gear Builders”