Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The idea of a new pump!

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The idea of a new pump!

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:12 am

An ergonomic, cheap foot pump is what is required. Maybe a single pump with a slide-out base that you can stand on with the other foot to keep the pump down, or you can buy two of them and join them together.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Did not read the whole thing sorry if it was covered already:

1o/ PSI=pounds per square inch... increase the diameter of the pump and you will need a whole football team to push it down. Make it longer and smaller diameter so it will push a larger volume for more upright position.

2o/ Light material is great for travelling I don't know if carbone is needed but why not

3o/ some pumps switch automatically to one-way at 6 psi... why not add the flick of a button for that? more sturdy, more reliable less prone to fatigue than a passive way

4o/ Seals, top ring, piston ring, this is where the failures come from. make the inner frictionless or as close to it as possible: teflon?

5o/ better hose, it is a pain when the hose fails on a trip

6o/ hose storage in the pump around the shaft or a tilting fitting with grooves to outside of the pump to secure the hose when travelling.

I own a electric pump but a hand pump is required when traveling and when kiting far from the parking lot. Reduced diameter will fit better in the luggage than bigger and you can go up to 28in long (or whatever fits in a 28in suitcase)

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dragnfly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm

My god, I can't believe so much is going into making the humble pump better!

But - I think I've got the best idea.

What we want is a pump, just like the ones we have now - but with the addition of an electric pump at the bottom, with a rechargeable battery - just like the sort used to inflate airbeds etc - its doesn't have to be high pressure or anything.

So - you drive to the beach with the electric bit plugged into your cig lighter in the car to make sure its charged - get to the beach, lay out your kite and start up the electric pump (securing the kite would be advisable too). The pump should pump your kite upto about 80% or so, doing all the hard work for you before the pressure gets too much for it.

Go get changed in to your wet suit while your kites inflating.

Back to kite - give it a quick pump to bring it up to your desired pressure, and you're done.

Can't see any issues with that.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm

flipper231 wrote:Did not read the whole thing sorry if it was covered already:

1o/ PSI=pounds per square inch... increase the diameter of the pump and you will need a whole football team to push it down. Make it longer and smaller diameter so it will push a larger volume for more upright position.

2o/ Light material is great for travelling I don't know if carbone is needed but why not

3o/ some pumps switch automatically to one-way at 6 psi... why not add the flick of a button for that? more sturdy, more reliable less prone to fatigue than a passive way

4o/ Seals, top ring, piston ring, this is where the failures come from. make the inner frictionless or as close to it as possible: teflon?

5o/ better hose, it is a pain when the hose fails on a trip

6o/ hose storage in the pump around the shaft or a tilting fitting with grooves to outside of the pump to secure the hose when travelling.

I own a electric pump but a hand pump is required when traveling and when kiting far from the parking lot. Reduced diameter will fit better in the luggage than bigger and you can go up to 28in long (or whatever fits in a 28in suitcase)
Some good points there flipper.

Maybe a longer pump with two chambers splitting the length in half would work?
Better ergonomically and you would be pumping two pumps stacked on top of each other.

Use both to pump both ways for low pressure high volume, then switch to one pumping on the down stroke only with the other pumping on both the down and up strokes, then both pumping on the down stroke only.
Then one pumping into the other pump for a 2-stage high pressure low volume pump?
That way you get high volume low pressure and low volume high pressure with 2 intermediate stages in between.
Because the last stage is a two stage pump, the diameter could even be increased from the current 10cm diameter.

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Living2Kite » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 pm

dragnfly wrote:My god, I can't believe so much is going into making the humble pump better!

But - I think I've got the best idea.

What we want is a pump, just like the ones we have now - but with the addition of an electric pump at the bottom, with a rechargeable battery - just like the sort used to inflate airbeds etc - its doesn't have to be high pressure or anything.

So - you drive to the beach with the electric bit plugged into your cig lighter in the car to make sure its charged - get to the beach, lay out your kite and start up the electric pump (securing the kite would be advisable too). The pump should pump your kite upto about 80% or so, doing all the hard work for you before the pressure gets too much for it.

Go get changed in to your wet suit while your kites inflating.

Back to kite - give it a quick pump to bring it up to your desired pressure, and you're done.

Can't see any issues with that.
Dream no more no more no more!
http://www.aeoliankitesurfing.com

Summer 2015 apparently.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Bugger. And I was just about to head down the patent office.
Good idea with the Carry bag too.
Strange that in an advert for a pump, his finished kite looks horribly under inflated while doing his victory dance.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 pm

ronnie wrote:An ergonomic, cheap foot pump is what is required. Maybe a single pump with a slide-out base that you can stand on with the other foot to keep the pump down, or you can buy two of them and join them together.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Ie the car tires pump but bigger diameter with a foot strap.

The electric has benefits and I do have one but rarely using it. Never actually.

There is still no Ferrari of a pump, so many varieties for a bikes tho. I would like to change this but a disruptive product is never easy :)

Hope to finish a shaft tomorrow...Or not :)

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:03 pm

jb92563
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Elsinore, CA
Belmont Shores, CA
Gear: Blade FatLadyV4 17m, North Rhino7 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: Band-Aid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jb92563 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:15 am

For a better hose I was thinking of those collapsible shrinking garden hoses I see on TV and in the hardware store.

They seem more durable and flexible than the stupid plastic hose my unit came with.
I just need to design some end fittings to attach the pressure gauge and nozzles of the standard hose.
Fortunately I have a 3D printer so that should be easy.

Hand pumps are good, especially for the girls, sometimes older technology is best utilized for good effect :thumb:

Plus it wakes up the back muscles and arms in preparation for some vigorous twisting and bending.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:12 pm

jb92563 wrote:.. collapsible shrinking garden hoses I see on TV and in the hardware store.
Got a pic's? Duno how this looks like....

Return to “Gear Builders”