5-4 compact in progress

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 5-4 compact in progress

Postby Starsky » Thu May 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Dash that though! figured it would muck with the special sauce. So the quiver of the future has at least two boards!

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown
strapless kite surfboards
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kaito » Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am

TomW wrote:Tail rocker is 30mm (1 1/4 inch) and nose about 3 1/2 inch. Tail has a overall V too so rocker at rail is more than center. It's plenty. First 4-8 prototype I built last summer has about 3 inch nose rocker and I thought it was tad too little because nose would catch in chop sometimes in hard jibes/carves. By going up to 3,5" and to 4-10 solved that.
Next year I'm looking at making nose less blunt, adding 3" to length, keeping rocker the same, it will flatten the rocker overall in front 3rd of the board.
Distribution of the curvature along length is super important. I replicate what pros are doing. Look at some photos online.
I create the shapes in Akushaper and have it milled.
These boards have 10-15mm concave on deck, 10mm overall concave on bottom with the duals added. So at some points the blank is 13-15mm thick. In my amateur opinion this thinness is part of the magic sauce. Even at center the stringer is down to 20mm.
If I was building board for foil I would not make it so thin or put channels on it. I think Tuttle boxes are going to need 30MM MINIMUM
Thanks so much for the numbers Tom-san!! : )
I've been adjusting the rocker and tuning the foil on my paulownia Evo-look-alike and have settled on 6.5cm nose and 3cm tail rocker. Deepened the rail to rail concave from midpoint through to tail too, after reading your specs. Mine is down to about 10mm deep also. Debating whether I will lower the rail-line at the tail to make a slight V...right now rail line, channels are all pretty even..hmmm..
Also debated about the nose rocker, but will leave&try it at 6.5cm. Pretty much no volume, being a paulownia blank, so thinking low nose rocker might help board speed & compensate for lack of volume. My current kitepaipo only has 5.5cm at the nose & has not got caught in our wind swells, so 6.5cm should be okay. We'll see! (fingers crossed!)
Been meaning to upload progress pics, but I've been working on it a lot lately, so getting it done has been priority. 8)
Should have it glassed and sealed by this weekend! -post paint/hand drawn graphic experiments.
Thanks again for sharing your experience & specs!!
かんしゃ してます!! :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue May 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Agree on nose rocker. I'm looking at making it less too.

Return to “Gear Builders”