Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Text and graphics on a painted surface

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped
Brand Affiliation: None

Text and graphics on a painted surface

Postby RalfsB » Fri May 06, 2016 7:06 am

This is an area I am constantly struggling with and not really getting good results. Maybe you can share your favorite techniques?

Typically I am using 2-component polyurethane paint layer on the top of the epoxy layer. When the board is finished, I like to add some text (e.g. the name of my board) and some graphics. I have tried using stencils but it takes time to cut them out and the results look like ... made by using stencils. I have tried to sketch outlines by pencil and then paint the letters and graphics by a small paintbrush but I am a clumsy artist so again, lots of effort and not very good results.

My latest technique was to laser-print a mirror image of my graphics on a satin paper (semi transparent, does not absorb much glue), use a small paintbrush to put a thin layer of epoxy over parts that are covered with the printer toner, then place the sheets of paper on the board and let the epoxy harden. Then wet the paper and carefully rub it off. The toner/epoxy mix stays on the board, quite nice. The only problem is that epoxy also gets on the area around my graphics which does not look so nice so it needs to be removed (via fine wet-sanding etc. that takes work and there is a risk to damage graphics).

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Text and graphics on a painted surface

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 06, 2016 8:57 am

art pens? posta or whatever they called

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Fri May 06, 2016 9:15 am

Have a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2392390

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 pm

rynhardt wrote:Have a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2392390
Did not really understand from the thread how graphics were done but looks like there is a transparent layer on the top. I did not want a whole layer, just some small images/text on the top of the paint layer.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Fri May 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Why not do it directly on the base, under FG fabric? And it would last longer!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 06, 2016 7:20 pm

I've done many techniques over the years from hand painting, spray paint, air brush, burning, rice paper, stensil, masking, free hand.

The easiest is rice paper under the glass if you have a light coloured background. Burning the coffin lid was amusing. For the best artistic results there is no getting around spending an insane amount of time using various techniques to get an awesome result. Well maybe there is. Build a graphic on the pc then get it printed in at your local signwriters. I haven't done that method. I go for gratuitous time spending of a manual paint job.
P1010022.JPG
P1070161.JPG
2012-05-26 11.45.24.jpg
20130601_145956.jpg
1298 v10flame boxxr.jpg
P1100915.jpg
P1100901.jpg
P1100899.jpg

RalfsB
Frequent Poster

Postby RalfsB » Mon May 09, 2016 11:50 am

plummet wrote:I've done many techniques over the years from hand painting, spray paint, air brush, burning, rice paper, stensil, masking, free hand.

The easiest is rice paper under the glass if you have a light coloured background. Burning the coffin lid was amusing. For the best artistic results there is no getting around spending an insane amount of time using various techniques to get an awesome result. Well maybe there is. Build a graphic on the pc then get it printed in at your local signwriters. I haven't done that method. I go for gratuitous time spending of a manual paint job.
Wow, you are really good at this; respect! I need to work on my artistic skills :)

Return to “Gear Builders”