Rare Poster
Gear: ...........................
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: First plywood kiteboard

Postby PoltergeistWZ » Wed May 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello there!
After a longer while we got back to the project. The board is heading more into the wake direction (bought the boots recently :rollgrin: ). I bought the plywood (9mm thick) and today we routed a channel for the edges and started drilling the holes for inserts. We predrilled them with a thin drill and started to drill with the right thickness but the drill appeared to be kinda dull - have to buy a new, sharp one to do this stage. The channel exceeds half of the plywood thickness. We will pour the urethane into it and then route out the remaining wood from the other side and pour resin in there as well.
Attachments
DSC_0106.JPG

PoltergeistWZ
Rare Poster
Gear: ...........................
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: First plywood kiteboard

Postby PoltergeistWZ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello,

I just went back to project. The board starts to be all messy but it's my first time working with polyurethane and I've already learned much about it . The board is not perfect and will not be (the wooden patch in the top left corner is where i f***** up the fin hole) - I just want to hit the water and ride on that thing!!! I poured the urethane into the routed channel, then let it cure, flipped the board and routed the other side and poured PU again. The first side after sanding can be seen on the photo, the other is curing at the moment. I did not care about degassing PU or heatcurnig it, though I understand it brings better results. Next time I will try to introduce these steps.
Attachments
19720544_1488909937833811_1230848597_o.jpg
Poured PU rails
19238612_1488909854500486_1247089436_o.jpg
Rails after sanding them down

Return to “Gear Builders”