KerryBara
Rare Poster
Gear: Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Vacuum Pump

Postby KerryBara » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Check out my new vacuum pump setup, alla joethewoodworker. Includes a SMC vacuum switch to cycle the pump on when needed.

Having one problem though, sometimes the fridge compressor doesn't cycle on for a minute or two. I can feel the compressor vibrating like it's trying to start up, but it takes a little while before it actually does. Any ideas?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Re: Vacuum Pump

Postby Rufusz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Usually when a compressor makes buzzing sound and fails to start its a faulty capacitor but its weird that yours starts after a while... Check the capacitor (wired into the compressor) with a multimeter if its still OK. Fairly easy and cheap to replace.

My other guess would be if the problem occurs only after the compressor has been running for a while, then it can be overheated and the thermal cutoff does its job and only lets the compressor running again if its cooled down a bit.

edit: Nice buffer tank BTW I guess the wife/GF is looking for the pot everywhere :)

edit2: these compressors are not designed to run multiple cycles per minute for instance... these should be running a few cycles per hour. Some compressors has a delay timer to protect the compressor from too many cycles. I don't know if a fridge compressor has that sort of protection built in but it could be a good idea to increase your buffer tank size that would reduce the cycles.

I use 20-50 liter expansion tanks for vacuum advance these may be an overkill but works like a charm.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:32 pm

DSC05250.JPG
Here's mine. That picture is a few years old. My daughter is 12 now!...

Have you got a vacuum switch installed? That way the pump will turn on and off by its self and not over heat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Vacu ... Gg&vxp=mtr

KerryBara
Rare Poster

Postby KerryBara » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Rufusz wrote:Usually when a compressor makes buzzing sound and fails to start its a faulty capacitor but its weird that yours starts after a while... Check the capacitor (wired into the compressor) with a multimeter if its still OK. Fairly easy and cheap to replace.

My other guess would be if the problem occurs only after the compressor has been running for a while, then it can be overheated and the thermal cutoff does its job and only lets the compressor running again if its cooled down a bit.

edit: Nice buffer tank BTW I guess the wife/GF is looking for the pot everywhere :)

edit2: these compressors are not designed to run multiple cycles per minute for instance... these should be running a few cycles per hour. Some compressors has a delay timer to protect the compressor from too many cycles. I don't know if a fridge compressor has that sort of protection built in but it could be a good idea to increase your buffer tank size that would reduce the cycles.

I use 20-50 liter expansion tanks for vacuum advance these may be an overkill but works like a charm.
Thanks for that. It's definitely not a overheating issue, it happened today when the compressor was still cold.

It's also not that it is cycling on and off too regularly, I was testing just the compressor, tubing and vacuum chamber to see if they were air tight, so it was cycling on every 45 min or so. Interestingly the atmosphere is finding its way through the compressor, otherwise it's 100% airtight.

I'll look into the capacitor

KerryBara
Rare Poster

Postby KerryBara » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 pm

plummet wrote:DSC05250.JPG

Here's mine. That picture is a few years old. My daughter is 12 now!...

Have you got a vacuum switch installed? That way the pump will turn on and off by its self and not over heat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Vacu ... Gg&vxp=mtr
Yeah, we have installed a SMC digital vacuum switch. The fact that it's digital helps in 2 ways:
1. I can be more specific about the vacuum I pull
2. You can immediately see if the setup is leaking. With a analog gauge, you have to give it 5 minutes to see if the needle has moved.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Fridge pumps are cheap and often times free. Just grab a new pump......

PS I like your digital vacuum gauge idea.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:37 am

Rufusz wrote:.

No problem with cycling every 5-10 secs. I do not bother using a tank either. The overheating is solved by using a 5 inches 12V fan from a PC pointed to it.

It might be the oil problem in the compressor tho. Did you try adding more oil on a compression line?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 am

Some ideas:

http://chadmunkres.blogspot.co.za/2010/ ... epair.html

and

Internal (in-built) protection system. which again is a bimetal current relay provided for the motor, is of little help for an ageing compressor. If. by any reason, the compressor is forced to re-start before attaining an equilibrium, after it has just stopped, the internal bimetal relay trips, sometimes more than twice. During this tripping the rotor of the motor is left in locked position for about 2 to 5 seconds, each time the relay trips.

KerryBara
Rare Poster

Postby KerryBara » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 pm

rynhardt wrote:Some ideas:

http://chadmunkres.blogspot.co.za/2010/ ... epair.html

and

Internal (in-built) protection system. which again is a bimetal current relay provided for the motor, is of little help for an ageing compressor. If. by any reason, the compressor is forced to re-start before attaining an equilibrium, after it has just stopped, the internal bimetal relay trips, sometimes more than twice. During this tripping the rotor of the motor is left in locked position for about 2 to 5 seconds, each time the relay trips.
Hi All,

Turns out it was the overload protector as shown in the above link. I tried to fix as suggested in the above article but that didn't work. Managed to find a spare part at a local fridge / washing machine repair guy. Was cheap ad chips and the compressor is now 100%.

Next step is build a board :D

Return to “Gear Builders”