tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: delamination Airush compact active carbon construction

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:44 pm

if you do the injection. do one hole at one side and another across the soft spot. . inject alittle but and get a cement block on to of it or some weight of some sort ) not covering the holes) this should help with not expanding the deck to much

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:07 am

tkettlepoint wrote:if you do the injection. do one hole at one side and another across the soft spot. . inject alittle but and get a cement block on to of it or some weight of some sort ) not covering the holes) this should help with not expanding the deck to much

terrie
http://www.jellyfishboards.com

I'm sure you have way more experience in this but I wouldn't think injecting one hole at a time with a little is the best idea. I would think that you'd want to expand as far and as much foam inside as fast as possible. If you inject a little and it doesn't push to expand you wouldn't be able to inject any more in that area once it sets even a little. I drilled a bunch of holes across the top and started injecting as fast as I could. Foam started coming out of multiple holes, some faster than others. If there was too much in one hole it came all back out of that same hole. Some holes took two shots out of a syringe to get full, some took much less. If his board starts buckling up from the foam he probably has bigger issues underneath than just compressed foam.
Attachments
jppatchS.jpg
jppatchS.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
jpinject.jpg
jpglassfeatherS.jpg
jpglassfeatherS.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 2113 times

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:47 pm

thx again, for all the info.
it is well appreciated!!
dude :thumb:

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RalfsB » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:42 am

If there are just some heel dents/soft spots in front of the pad and under the pad, I would remove the pad, clean off the glue, put on some layers of fiberglass (like 2 layers of 200 gram) using epoxy, sand it, get a new pad and put it on. This would add a bit of weight to the board but make the deck much stronger. If you are not used to working with fiberglass/epoxy, any shaper can do this.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:17 pm

My Airush Cypher board was also delaminated, I thought. But after opening up it appeared that it was the core itself that was broken.

Was there anyway I might had repaired this?
Attachments
IMG_20160922_111157.jpg

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Obviously a crappy and over complicated construction. What's wrong with a regular eps or pu with or without stringer and sufficient lamination. It's not rocket science.
The damage shown in Bartolo's post is not worth repairs.

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable

Postby mattenzuchtig » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 am

Bartolo wrote:My Airush Cypher board was also delaminated, I thought. But after opening up it appeared that it was the core itself that was broken.

Was there anyway I might had repaired this?
too much jumping?....repairing...don't think so...
cheers matti

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:51 pm

by mattenzuchtig » too much jumping?....repairing...don't think so...
Thanks for your reply.
No, I never jumped the board. I'm not capable of that and my ankles don't like it. It was my strapless low wind (<20 knots) board. No tough circumstances either..

Airush also blamed it on jumping but that is definitely not the cause. I don't know. I would say bad quality materials...

Postby TomW » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Obviously a crappy and over complicated construction. What's wrong with a regular eps or pu with or without stringer and sufficient lamination. It's not rocket science.
The damage shown in Bartolo's post is not worth repairs.
Thanks for your reaction. I don't really get what you mean. I think it is regular eps with stringer etc. Maybe you are mislead by the inserts for the footstraps that you see on the picture?

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:00 am

how often do you ride the board? what is the water conditions? how much do you weigh? are all the questions they should be asking.
We built a board for a team rider and it has lasted 4 years and now is just starting to get soft. and he does 20' strapless airs on it.
Eps will sooner or later start breaking down under load.. weight and you can at some to your weight with getting pulled through the water ( aka natural load)
This is one problem with eps... everyone wants light boards. well some companies use 1lb eps you can dent ( a lot of SUP are made of it) and you can pretty much dent it real easy. Most
kite brands use 2lbs eps which is a standard , but now they are still trying to keep it as light as 1lb eps board. The do a great lay up but leave out stringers ( corecell or wood or even carbon) to keep the weight down
which your board is NO stringers. the core cell that is in there looks like it is just around the screw inserts to keep the water from getting into the eps.

The next thing is eps is open cell and has air in it. With air comes expanding if left in the sun on the beach. If you think about it a hot board tossed into cold water what is happening to the foam and glass? The easiest way I tell people is take a zip lock back and zip it shut , toss it on the drive way for a hour or two and see what happens. it will expand and there with be water droplets inside of the bag. While this is happening to you boards to. It is my feeling all eps core boards should of a vent plug in them... ( which I haven't seen a lot of it until the last couple of years) SS had one in there hollow carbon board 4-5 years ago.

And yes there is a science to it to get a board to last. But you can have light and strong they just don't work together.
Just my two cents

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:04 am

thx for all your replies...it always helps
here are some stages in the repair of the board, a friend of mine did it.

https://mega.nz/#F!ycAhTQaA!9o_TJGUQzTCbk_we1CFb4w

cheers dude :cool2:

Return to “Gear Builders”