Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Rounding board edges

Postby edt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 pm

i've used the soak the plywood method a lot never delaminated on me. I like to wet it down, bend it, let it dry then if it's not where I want bend it again. Sounds like others haven't had any luck with this method but it's always worked well for me both with cheap plywood with voids and good marine quality birch. I've got a 4 year old board done this way still going strong, though I usually don't keep my projects for that long. I usually end up cutting them up and make something new because I get bored with my old stuff.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:56 pm

edt wrote:i've used the soak the plywood method a lot never delaminated on me. I like to wet it down, bend it, let it dry then if it's not where I want bend it again. Sounds like others haven't had any luck with this method but it's always worked well for me both with cheap plywood with voids and good marine quality birch. I've got a 4 year old board done this way still going strong, though I usually don't keep my projects for that long. I usually end up cutting them up and make something new because I get bored with my old stuff.
How long are you soaking your board for? I can only fit one side at a time in my tub so I'm going to flip it every so often.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
edt wrote:i've used the soak the plywood method a lot never delaminated on me. I like to wet it down, bend it, let it dry then if it's not where I want bend it again. Sounds like others haven't had any luck with this method but it's always worked well for me both with cheap plywood with voids and good marine quality birch. I've got a 4 year old board done this way still going strong, though I usually don't keep my projects for that long. I usually end up cutting them up and make something new because I get bored with my old stuff.
How long are you soaking your board for? I can only fit one side at a time in my tub so I'm going to flip it every so often.
Fair enough. You have nothing to loos by giving it a try.

What about a big plastic bag? chuck it in there fill with water. Ideally hot water (it softens the glue). Perhaps a black rubbish bag left outside in the sun.

Then in the perfect world slap it in the press while still hot with soft glue.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 pm

You aren't making pasta just wet the outer ply that is usually enough takes me couple wets and dries to get curve right

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 pm

plummet wrote:
downunder wrote:I wouldn't recommend soaking a plywood, if is a ply.

What you can do as your first project is 2x6mm marine type plywood. That will make a concave and rocker with no need for soaking and risking trapped moisture in a ply voids, which is a guarantied failure.

You'll need to tapper your 12mm tips/rails hard so 6mm ply will fix that and give you more flex on tips.

D.

Yep that's good advice. I don't recommend soaking either. It also can play havoc with bonding glue in the plies and lead to delamination.

If you are committed to the 12mm sheet then just roll with no rocker for this board. Chalk it up to experience and move on to reducing thickness laminating thinner layers together to achieve a better result.
Note that tip flex is desirable for a smooth ride. To get that you really want 2-3mm core at the tips and glass or carbon to give you a flexible yet strong construction.
I didn't catch this post, sorry...I may try to slowly bend some rocker in without water starting tomorrow. I bought a few items to help me today. I'll post back my results.

Return to “Gear Builders”