Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surfboard deck softened, no cracks, what's the best way to repair it (change the foam or inject polyester resin)?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Surfboard deck softened, no cracks, what's the best way to repair it (change the foam or inject polyester resin)?

Postby omg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:16 am

Hi,

I have SlingShot Tyrant strapless version, very light, nice board, but due to too much jumping the board's deck is softened beneath the front feet. The board's core I think is polyester foam and I thought to open the top of board and cut off some of the soft foam and replace it with a bit harder foam & glass.

1) is PVC foam good for this application and I assume I can use it with polyester resin without core meltdowns?
2) should I just cut off around 40x40cm area and is rectangular or circle better when thinking about the strength of the board? Then I would also obviously cut of the bamboo layer, but is that a problem?
3) how would you do it?

thanks!

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfboard deck softened, no cracks, what's the best way to repair it (change the foam or inject polyester resin)?

Postby RalfsB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:01 am

I would just glass it without cutting. Probably 2 layers of 200 gram fiberglass cloth in the stress areas.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Surfboard deck softened, no cracks, what's the best way to repair it (change the foam or inject polyester resin)?

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:19 am

wood1
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wood1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:15 pm

you should check with slingshot but the core from what I see on line is EPS so big no no for using polyester resin ,
use only epoxy,

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:03 am

maybe have a look at these pictures , it is a repair from my board I have to find one more picture, when the bad part had been cut out, my friend who did this, had cut a new piece of very dense/hard foam exact shape as the part that had been cut out, and placed this inside...finally he closed it off with carbon
cheers
Dude :cool2:
https://mega.nz/#F!ycAhTQaA!9o_TJGUQzTCbk_we1CFb4w

Return to “Gear Builders”