Gear: Best kites
Liquid force twin tips
Custom made surfboards that I create in my garage
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bottom Lam

Postby Antler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Is it better to go with a 4oz bottom lam with a carbon reinforcement down the stringer in order to save weight or use a full layer of 6 oz instead?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Bottom Lam

Postby TomW » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Better for what? That 4 oz on a standard surfboard blank is not going to stand up to much impact. If you refer to longitudinal stiffness, then it depends on the carbon weight, width and weave. You'll need to use it on both sides.

Antler
Rare Poster
Style: Surf
Liquid force twin tips

Postby Antler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:53 am

My previous board have all been glasses Brett uniformly but have ended up pretty heavy. 6+6+6+4+3/44/6+6+4. When I started making my kitesurfboards I had seen a video of pat rawson saying he glasses the liquid force boards with 8+6+8+3/44/8+8. My boards always held up well but I'm going for more flex, less weight with the same strength under the feet. My boards only had slight feel dents after years of use.

This is my new layup 4innegra+3/46s+4e\4 with a 3inch wide carbon strip going from 1' from the nose to just infront of the front fins or I could just glass the entire bottom with 6e.
I think innegra is the key, with maybe carbon patches under the front and rear feet.

So do you think 4e with carbon would do which would save weight and but the flex under the back foot or do you think a more uniform flex is better and just go with 6e?

Antler
Rare Poster
Style: Surf
Liquid force twin tips

Postby Antler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:16 am

My old boards are all 1.8pcf eps. All around 5'7x19 3/8"x2' 1/4. With all the glass they weighed approx 9.7lbs. Lots room to improve.

My boards hardly dent. I'm trying to focus the strength under the feet to disperse the load while only using what is nessessary on the rest of the board. Water vibration is something else I've taken into consideration, as well as the amount of glass wrapped on the rails to assist with the flex.

I'm trying to take everything into consideration.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Regular light performance surfboards using PU foam core with stringer are glassed 4oz bottom, 4 or 6 oz fin box patches or tail patch for box strength, 6oz deck patch and 4 oz full deck. Rails end up with 4+4. Without stringer, I'd add some carbon strip. Only carbon on bottom will stiffen in one direction, carbon is stiff in tension, so overall stiffness in both directions would need carbon strip top and bottom. Alternative is to do carbon wrap only on rail, so called parabolic stringers.
You'll have to test. I'm interested to hear about results.
You need to consider the cf strip. What is it ? 200 g Uni directional, woven or??
I use a tow fiber, 15mm wide. 2 strips on bottom, one on top. But my layup probably doesn't need the cf.

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch

Postby handy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:38 am

if you want, a stronger deck , but keep the flex , 45°/45° layup is the answer .

Return to “Gear Builders”