Tom that bar looks great!
I have a suggestion for reinforcing the center (or any other part) against impact:
Overwrap with lower modulus fiber/fabric of your choice, perhaps in lower modulus matrix.
I think if I make a bar I might overwrap the whole thing with some kind of polyester cloth in a PU of lower hardness instead of epoxy.
Or for class and a weight penalty, leather it like a yacht wheel (or BRM)
I'd probably mold bar ends in CF/glass, with wide and narrow through passages for leaders.
I'm skeptical of skinny pipe style ends on the SK race bar, carbon or not, those little straws are just begging to be shut in a car door or something.
just my random thoughts...
I've not used the bar yet. I'm sceptical to use it as failure could be dangerous.
I researched online for failure testing and Switch was using 180 kg x 100 cycles. but, the used a wide webbing to transfer load.
I agree with your thoughts.
I'm going to put 180 kgs on it static, once I figure out a way to do it safely. If it doesn't break, I'll cycle it. I'm most concerned about the center.
The bar ends have the lines going through the carbon, so even if the ends break, it's still functional to get back.
I was looking at Core carbon bar. It has titanium strut in the middle.....
Do you unhook? If no just forget about. 180kg is margin for unhook tricks. Titanium strut in middle is textbook example of over engineering. I have bar breakage in past /2002 or so/.
Back lines goes slack - kite depower - no drama. Just rode it - if you break it make new one stronger. There is no chance to break one on hydrofoil imo.
I started making it with the mindset that there can't be that much force on it.
Then I thought of the situation where I might get an unintentional centerline ( power line) release. Meaning the Cl will snap up at high force.
If that happens, it's going to fly out of my hands for sure onto the leash.
22x25mm 60cm long carbon tube
center and edges reinforced with 16,18,20 mm carbon tubes.
I used 8cm long 10mm OD carbon tubes to make backline holders.
I used epoxy to glue the parts and I used epoxy also to smoothen the center hole.
I used dremel to smoothen the center hole after epoxy
Edges were sealed with bicycle caps.