Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How much materials required for 2 boards?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
JaZone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

How much materials required for 2 boards?

Postby JaZone » Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm going to make myself a couple of TT boards , how do you guys calculate how much materials you going to need ?

I was asking at a boat yard where they sell fiberglass , and I was told that they sell the cloth by the Lb.
is 10 Lb enough cloth to make two boards?

Approximately how much resin and hardener will be required for two TT , 134x42 and 138x42 ?

I'm planning to buy some of the vacuum bagging supplies from this place.

http://compositescanada.com/

Also , any tips on which particular resin is best ?
Is it Same resin for carbon fiber , as it is for fiberglass?

JaZone
Medium Poster

Re: How much materials required for 2 boards?

Postby JaZone » Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Ok, I was just reading something about epoxy vs polyester resin. They stated its best to use polyester resin for fiberglass.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Wed May 17, 2017 8:00 pm

I was planning to make a vacuum pump like this guy's.
I got a compressor from an old fridge , just hope it produces enough vacuum to do the job.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed May 17, 2017 10:03 pm

JZ,

All respect for your enthusiasm. but you need to do some more online research and reading. There's a lot here on this forum.
Here's some subjects for TT building :
Wood Cores
Edges
Rocker tables
Vacuum bagging
Epoxy and fiberglass materials
Fiberglass lamination.

Epoxy is best. Fiberglass comes in multiple weaves and weights per sq yard/ meter, you need to know about this.
I can give some basics :
You need a wood Core. It can be made many ways. Basically you make a blank 8 mm thick. Route out a groove 7mm deep to your outline shape. Cast your edges in epoxy. Cast plugs in fin areas. Shape the blank to outline and tapered to tips and edges. not constant thickness. Add inserts for footstraps.
You need a rocker table to v-Bag your core and laminate at same time to the table to create rocker. Research this more.
To keep it simple, I'd use 200g/m2 twill or plain weave glassfiber. 3 layers each side on a wood Core that's 8 mm thick in middle and 3mm at tips. You might add some Uni directional carbon if you feel confident, otherwise add glass layers to make it stiffer.
Once it's cured and out of the bag, weight it down on rocker table and cure it with some heat 50c for 24 hrs, or wait a week with normal Temps.
Clean it up, paint it.

Now you've probably have a function board that is heavy and flex unknown. Build more and learn!
Have fun. Here's my work, they are surfboards with pu foam, v-Bagged wood deck, epoxy, glass and carbon fiber Uni directional tow. put a lot of time into learning over the many years I've built stuff.
2017-03-18 14.53.59-1.jpg
2017-03-18 14.55.42-1.jpg

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu May 18, 2017 3:05 am

JaZone wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 pm
Ok, I was just reading something about epoxy vs polyester resin. They stated its best to use polyester resin for fiberglass.
Where are you reading that? Epoxy is by far stronger and more environmentally sound.

You have lots of reading to do. The type of fiberglass (woven vs biaxial vs unidirections vs mat vs etc...), weight of the cloth, and how you lay it up all effect how your board works let alone your core...and resin...and rocker...and bottom contours...

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Thu May 18, 2017 6:43 am

http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Polyester_Resins

This site says most fiberglass parts are constructed with polyester resin, due to being less expensive and more forgiving to work with than epoxy.
This being my first attempt, I was planning to go with less expensive materials to experiment with until I work out the best method for my personal needs.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will keep you posted on my progress.
I know I'm gonna make more than a few mistakes along the way , but that's part of the process.

Return to “Gear Builders”