Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Springback on Bamboo core lamination

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Tim27
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
Muizenberg, Cape Town
Gear: Single kite: F-One Bandit 6 7m kite.
TT: Nobile NHP 2011 (Black)
Surf: Spowy custom 5'9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Springback on Bamboo core lamination

Postby Tim27 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Everyone
I'm about to tackle my first board build and was wondering if anybody has any advice on the possibility of springback once my twintip board is laminated up.
I have 2x 5mm thick bamboo sheets that I plan on laminating together to hold the rocker, but I would like to understand what the level of springback will be, if any?
I got my original inspiration from https://www.ginkites.com/2017/07/06/the-eco-board/ and will have a layer of hessian between the sheets to help with adhesion and strength.

Thanks for all the info that has already been contributed on here, I really do appreciate it.
Tim

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Springback on Bamboo core lamination

Postby downunder » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 am

Almost none.

It's actually the same as with any wood. This will be a heavy board and would strongly suggest to use a light 5mm wood strips on top of bamboo. Unless you are 100kegs guy and weight doesn't bother you ;) For sure, depends on a size you're building. Hessian between? Nah, use some good structural epoxy between two layers, I would not want different shear strength material between two layers at all.

You'll still need to fiberglass on top and bottom, something light, like biax fg 100-150 grams/sqm

Have a look at my 1 layer bamboo build from here: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2387274

With just carbon and a bit of veneer, the weight is 2440 grams. So the same size, 2 bamboo layers, I recon 4.5 kg. That's heavy.

Good luck.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Springback on Bamboo core lamination

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:39 am

Downunder is right. 2 layers of 5mm is bamboo is too heavy any will be inflexible at the tips. My call is to taper the thick from 8mm core at the middle to 3mm at the ends, sticking reinforcement in the middle is inefficient and heavy. You need to reinforce the outer layers with glass or carbon. that will give you the most efficient use of bamboo and glass.

PS you will get spring back if you use Vlam bamboo in 5mm thickness. how much will depend on you design and layup schedule.

Return to “Gear Builders”