Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stringerless blanks

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Stringerless blanks

Postby socommk23 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi guys n gals.

Been playing with the idea of making my own kitesurfboard from scratch. Well from a blank.
I have found a few sites that sell diy kits but nothing with enough options to satisfy my desired specs.
I want a epoxy board not poly. I'd like to use futures fin boxes and I'd like to use a stringerless blank.
It looks as though I'll have to buy all the bits seperatly but I just can't find a seller if stringerless blanks. Let alone in the UK.
Does anyone have any leads? Or links?

Regards

Russ

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Stringerless blanks

Postby edt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Try asking in the swaylocks forum. I got a lot of help from the forum experts there when I built my SUP.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 pm
Try asking in the swaylocks forum. I got a lot of help from the forum experts there when I built my SUP.
I'll give that a go.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 pm

building foam (that they put in concrete) ? super cheap way to get into it - they put it in concrete slabs to save concrete - 6 x 8 x 6" thick

or waaaay mor easy.... search for "akushaper" machines on uk . . draw up your board in akushaper and email them the file. about $60 us for a wholesale shaped blank - probably way more in uk though as they probably dont have much volume going through..

then u will want to sandwich it with a 2mm pvc foam/ wood venir or wack a layer on inegra in between the top layers for kiteboarding - it is not expensive - it just stops the top layer being so brittle - tougher.. (without it a standard surfboard will fall apart over time for kiting) or do both..

good luck.. dont skimp on a SUITABLE dust mask (for polystyrene and fibreglass dust) and chemical mask for epoxy (a 3m that does both - $50?)- IMO the most important thing you will buy - or just dont go near any of it - making kiteboards and surfboards is s toxic game unfortunately but making one or 2 with a mask should be ok.

good luck

Return to “Gear Builders”