Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY split wave twinny

Postby rynhardt » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am

Grkite wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:02 pm
You make it looks soo easy....:)

But I wonder about the graphichs. Did you print in the polyester fabric? Where? Or you bought this as is ?

Thanks.
It took a few years and several boards to get to this point :-?

The graphics are printed by a sign shop up the road. It's UV resistant dye sublimated polyester.

Grkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Paros - Pounda
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos
Favorite Beaches: Paros-Pounda
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 Vector 11
Cabrinha 2017 Switcblade 8
My handmade boards-HYPERION KITEBOARDS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Grkite » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 am

I mean I read the process and start thinking cutting my board in half...but then started thinking the issues...I wonder when you rode her..was it stiffer due to connecting plate?? also the gap in the bottom of the two parts..didnt produce any issue?

Thank you very much for your answer I have to locate such shop here... The limitations I have with raphics is only 5k away as the price of such printer....

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

Hi rynhardt,
Have you tried both the Nomad and the OR Makos?
I was inspired by reviews and video of the Mako to design and build something similar but with a bit more concave. So pleased with that decision.
I've read somewhere that the Mako's not such a good wakestyle board though? I ride my board twin tips with my own fins. Started with big ones but then made small ones, I liked how it made the board a lot looser to transition. Also I found too big a fins stuffed up a lot of jumps, binding the board on a reach if I didn't keep up back foot pressure. I think a rectangular board must have easier pop as I edge more on the side than the back, I think the Nomad is slightly squarer at the ends than the Mako. How much concave did you get on yours?
Graham.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Grkite wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 am
I mean I read the process and start thinking cutting my board in half...but then started thinking the issues...I wonder when you rode her..was it stiffer due to connecting plate?? also the gap in the bottom of the two parts..didnt produce any issue?

Thank you very much for your answer I have to locate such shop here... The limitations I have with raphics is only 5k away as the price of such printer....
The centre section of the split board is stiffer than the old board, mostly due to the carbon plate.
I would have to ride them back to back before I could comment on the difference in ride.

The gap presents no noticeable issues on this or my other split board. On the Progeni I had some spray coming through the split at one point when I got some sand in the joint.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 pm

fluidity wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am
Hi rynhardt,
Have you tried both the Nomad and the OR Makos?
I was inspired by reviews and video of the Mako to design and build something similar but with a bit more concave. So pleased with that decision.
I've read somewhere that the Mako's not such a good wakestyle board though? I ride my board twin tips with my own fins. Started with big ones but then made small ones, I liked how it made the board a lot looser to transition. Also I found too big a fins stuffed up a lot of jumps, binding the board on a reach if I didn't keep up back foot pressure. I think a rectangular board must have easier pop as I edge more on the side than the back, I think the Nomad is slightly squarer at the ends than the Mako. How much concave did you get on yours?
Graham.
No, haven't tried either of them. I have been following Simon (Nomad) for a few years and his boards were the inspiration for mine (i.e. I blatantly copied his outline)
However flex and concave will be completely different.
I use Kerry's rocker table which has about 1cm concave in the center, but flat tips.
My board is fairly flexible. In fact when we first took it out of the bag I thought it was way too flexible. But after riding it I'm now converted to the flex school of thought.

I believe the OR Mako is a very different animal. Lots of concave and little flex.

I generally ride finless.

As for pop, I don't know how much the outline affects it. I have a couple of traditional shape (square tips) boards, both kite and wakeboards, and find no difference in pop to the elliptical tips.
I truly think Simon has arrived at a winning formula with his boards, but unless you can test them you will never know.
For myself I won't go back to square tips.

Return to “Gear Builders”